I decide to try Alison’s “woman” doctor for my
well check. She wasn’t taking new
patients but because Alison referred me, they said I could see her. I waited three months for an appointment. She was thorough; I’ll say that for her. I’m not used to this. You have to tell Dr. ____ at the _____
Clinic what is wrong with you and what you want him to
prescribe. (That’s why Amy likes him.)
She made a big deal out of everything.
“You need to lose 25 pounds. Exercise. . .”
“Don’t even mention exercise. Let's just say 'I do'.”
“Eye exam.”
“Ron is free.
I’ll see him.”
“You need to see a dermatologist for spots on your
face.”
“Can’t you burn them?”
“Not these.
They’re too deep.”
“High blood pressure. Better get you on some medication.”
“Cholesterol 314.
Low on Vitamin D."
Bone Scan.
“You have osteoporosis. Come
right in to discuss.”
Then she got the thyroid ultra sound results.
Imaging for JEANETTE E HUGH
Location Bountiful Clinic
Date 01/10/2012
Examination: Thyroid
ultrasoundClinical History: Hashimoto's
Findings: The right thyroid lobe measures approximately 4.3 x 2.5
x 2.6 cm. The thyroid tissue is markedly heterogeneous. The
isthmus is enlarged. A nodule within the isthmus measures 1.4 x
1.1 x 1.8 cm. No discrete nodule is identified within the right
thyroid lobe.
The left thyroid lobe measures at least 5.0 x 3.0 x 3.0 cm.
Occupying much of the left thyroid lobe is a slightly
heterogeneous solid nodule measuring 2.2 x 2.7 x 2.5 cm. Within
this nodule there is a bulky focus of shadowing calcification.
Impression:
1. Heterogeneous thyroid gland with a dominant nodule within the
left thyroid lobe containing a bulky focus of calcification.
Signed By: Smythe, Jason J., MD
x 2.6 cm. The thyroid tissue is markedly heterogeneous. The
isthmus is enlarged. A nodule within the isthmus measures 1.4 x
1.1 x 1.8 cm. No discrete nodule is identified within the right
thyroid lobe.
The left thyroid lobe measures at least 5.0 x 3.0 x 3.0 cm.
Occupying much of the left thyroid lobe is a slightly
heterogeneous solid nodule measuring 2.2 x 2.7 x 2.5 cm. Within
this nodule there is a bulky focus of shadowing calcification.
Impression:
1. Heterogeneous thyroid gland with a dominant nodule within the
left thyroid lobe containing a bulky focus of calcification.
Signed By: Smythe, Jason J., MD
In plain English, I have two nodules. One
in the center and one big one practically filling the left side.
She schedules me to see the surgeon the first day
he is in the clinic, which is next Tuesday. They also need to check the
lymph glands.
Suddenly we would just wait and watch the spots on
my face. No mention of the eye test. Osteoporosis, spine and hip:
"Maybe the Vitamin D will help. Do you want to just watch it for a
year?”
I was prepared for battle. I thought she
would insist I take all these drugs. Well, she did talk me into going
back on lipitor and a very low dosage for high blood pressure plus the
prescription Vitamin D. All the other problems she had been worrying me about
were brushed aside.
It’s a psychological battle. The anxiety and
worry are almost unbearable. Everything hurts; I can’t swallow; my
shoulders and neck ache; my throat is dry; I cough and sneeze and constantly
blow my nose; am I getting Staph infection? Oh my hurting knees; I’m
light-headed; dizzy; tired; weak; this pounding in my ear is driving me crazy;
no one cares; I’ve had more than my share; who will care for Ed?
Did I do damage massaging on the roller?
doing incessant chin locks to stimulate my thyroid? gravity inversion
table? vibrator?
Bad news is debilitating to mental health and
emotional well-being.
Slow down. Take a deep breath. How do
you really feel? Is it any different than before you found out?
Didn’t you feel strong then, like you could and would conquer physical
afflictions?
Physically I probably don’t feel any different
than I did before I found out about those nodules in my thyroid gland but
mentally and emotionally I’m devastated.
OK – on my honor I promise to do my best to be
well until proven sick.
2 comments:
You've been put thru the ringer lately, haven't you? If you need anything, you know we're just a phone call away!!!!
I guess that's the price you pay for having the privilege to grow old. One thing about it, I practice dying every day in yoga as I lie in corpse pose, savasana, where it all comes together.
Post a Comment