Friday, March 23, 2012

THE BIRTHDAY CLUB


Women belong to all sorts of clubs:
Literary * Creative Writing *
Garden * Science *
Pinochle & Bridge *
Hiking * Sports *
Singing * Arts & Crafts * Lapidary * Photography *
Computer * Astronomy * Dance * Acting *
Social * Country *
Red Hatters * Daughters of Utah Pioneers
Relief Society used to be a club.
We received a membership card
when we paid a fee of 50 cents per year.
We have been going to the gym for over 25 years;
I belonged to the Kaysville Literary Art Guild for several years
but for the most part, I’m not a joiner.
I don’t fit in.
 I now belong to one itty-bitty club.
We meet four times a year and go out to lunch on our birthdays.
TA-DAH!!!!
The Birthday Club
Jeanette, Verda, Verla, Carol (Verda & Verla were cheerleaders together in high school.  Before that they were flower girls at my wedding.)


 three sisters and a cousin
with two daughters-in-training.
We catch up on all the news of home
(that’s when our daughters go to sleep)
and family;
current events; politics, religion.
We don’t laugh as much as we used to;
but it’s warm, joyful, and endearing.
DeRay's parents, my mother, Dick, DeRay, Jeanette, Carol-Maid of Honor, Donna, Marilyn, Dolly, Georgia, Lenore; Verla, Verda
Verla & Verda.  1956


2 comments:

Brigitte Hugh said...

sounds like fun! I 'm not a daughter or sister, or a cousin for that matter, but I'd join! (can granddaughters come to learn about their grandmothers?)

JJ said...

For sure we need to start a Grandmother/Granddaughter Birthday Club! That would be my favorite.