and went right to bed after
dinner.
At 7:30, I stopped my vacuuming
to get Pancake and Gnocchi in.
They were reluctant.
They know the balmy days of
summer
are winding down
and they want to soak in every
moment.
I closed the window we open to
let
them have free access in and out
all day long.
Usually they come ambling in
with the rattle
of the treat bag,
but this night they pretended to
be deaf,
So one by one I pick them up
and carry them in,
feeling puffed up with pride
at getting them in for the night,
not realizing Amy had left the
garage door open just a little.
Both escaped before I noticed.
For the next three hours at
intervals
I called “Kitty. Kitty.
Kitty” and
rattled the treat sack.
Then sitting out on the front
porch,
Pancake would walk right up to
my chair
slithering back and forth,
darting if I moved a muscle.
I knew I couldn’t catch her.
DeRay got home around 11,
and finally Pancake was waiting
at the
backdoor when I went down for
one last attempt.
Gnocchi, whom I didn’t know was
out for sure,
because I had seen neither hide
nor hair of him,
came in around 10 PM.
I was pretty perturbed at
Pancake
and wouldn’t let her out this
morning.
“Tit for tat” as Ed would say.
Amy let her out before she left
for work.
I’m still not speaking to her.
Later, as I sit out on the
lounge chair on the deck
she helps herself to my water
and licks my dish
like we’re intimate buddies.
When I fall asleep,
she jumps up on me and nuzzles
my nose.
I should be more like a cat
And let bygones be bygones.
No comments:
Post a Comment