Monday, October 14, 2013

"This is the Best Trip I've Ever Been On."

Oktoberfest at Camp Richardson
The second Oktoberfest we've been to this year.
Less than two weeks ago,
we enjoyed Oktoberfest at Snowbird.
And we don't even drink beer.
 The beach at Camp Richardson
The child in me makes me wade every time I get near water.
 Totally German.
 Ice Cream cones.
Parlor closes today.
Last chance.
I thought about that ice cream cone all week,
yearning for another one.
It's been so long since I've had one.
 Self-explanatory.
 This is the island with the tea house
that we will visit from the boat on Friday.
 Amy takes a hike to a waterfall.
 Eddy takes a hike on the boardwalk.
 DeRay takes a hike at Sand Harbor.
 Lovely warm day at Sand Harbor.
 The water is so clear you can see down 1000' or more.
 Marbles, anyone?
 
Because we were riding in the car
where I wanted to hear Amy and DeRay
in the front seat
or out and about,
or watching movies,
I wore my new hearing aids (technically, my
hear aid and transmitter) everyday
for the first time since I got them
over a month ago.
I had to change the batteries three times,
for crying out loud.
Sometimes
as I sit on the bed
putting my hearing devices in
I feel quite grown up--
like I've finally arrived.
A rite of passage.
Coming of (old) age.
Like a teen getting her driver's license.
I thought I would be ashamed,
remorseful, sad.
No,
I feel proud to join the senior crowd.
And it's nice to be able to hear.
"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
DeLoy, are those red leaves on a Quakie?
 Amy says if you get in past your knees,
they will feel really good.
Yip.
 The Bride and Groom paddleboarding
 and the photographer.
Amy fixed delicious salads
each day for our picnics.
She also bought $30 worth of
dried fruits and vegetables at Oktoberfest
for snacking.
We planned to eat out a few times,
being in casino country
where buffets are cheap,
and also to celebrate my birthday,
but we didn't eat out once.
Not even coming or going.
Family-owned Grocery Outlet
provided ample food
to go with the tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc.,
we brought from home.
Ed said the second best thing about the trip
was unloading the dishwasher.
There you go.
 
 Some people know how to relax
 as well as hike.
"One of the greatest necessities in America
is to discover creative solitude."
Carl Sandburg 


 


 We are surrounded by beauty;
we are surrounded by love.
Who could ask for anything more?
 Ed riding the train at Virginia City.
He and his dad brought all-day tickets.
 Luxury?
DeRay and the Conductor.
 Most of Virginia City sits on underground tunnels,
abandoned mines.
 The Engineer.
 A church in Virginia City.
 Amy says we have more antiques in our house
than we saw in "The Way it Was" museum.
My Singer is in better shape for sure.
 Riding in the Surrey with the Fringe on Top.
 Barrels and barrels of old-fashioned candy!
 Being a history teacher, Amy knows the stories.
 The mine tour.
 The Miner.
 Originally, no nails.
Pressure held the boards in the shafts.
 Check out the ore in those rocks.
 This is our escape route
if the entry way should be blocked.
 The invaluable canary. . .
any bird would do but canaries are small.
 This is candle light in the mine.
 And then it snowed.
So we went to a movie in Mindon.
Gravity in 3-D
"You know what I like best about the trip?"
"What?"
"Gravity."
"Ed, we didn't have to travel 1,212 miles for that;
we could have seen it at home."
 So, here are our Geo Group condos at Tahoe Summit Village.
Carry your groceries,
carry your luggage
up 50-100 stair steps.
 Amy hiking up to the office.
 Our actual condo.
We lucked out and had only 33 steps,
plus 14 more to get to the loft.
The price we paid was:
No view.
Our front window was blocked by the staircase.
Back windows view was identical condos.
 Amy invited me to take a jacuzzi
in the loft.
"So this is how rich people live," I jest.
 Ed was jealous of Amy in the loft.
"But I've still got the best bedroom in the condo," he brags.
Amy worked with Ed on self-control.
He blew it at the Mormon Station.
She held the boat ride over his head
and he passed with flying colors.

 The stairs down.
Most of the buildings are only three stories high
but you have to climb around 70 stairs
up the side hill to get to the condo.
Then if you are on the top,
another 28 stairs up
and 14 more to the loft.
All stairways
seem to be outdoors
"slippery when wet".
I guess skiers are a hearty bunch.
Tread where skiers tread,
you pay the price.
Because we only do it about once a day,
its no more stairs than at home
except
they are steeper and deeper
and that makes all the difference.
Plus, 9000' elevation.
Pant. Pant. Pant.
 Back patio.
DVD's normally rent for $2.95;
because the gas was cut off,
the sauna and jacuzzi were closed.
To compensate,
the DVD's were free.
Who would walk down 33 or 47 steps
across the street and up 20 steps
in your bathing suit to sauna or hot tub?
We have those at home and
no one uses them -
except me.
Amy likes the hot tub at home
but she had a bigger one in her loft suite here at the condo.
"I'd much rather have a free DVD," she acknowledged.
Every night we watched one or two movies -
all good
except the ones we started and didn't finish
because they weren't good or worse.
This, being a federal park, was closed.
Nice.
Hardly anyone broke in (I say that loosely.  There was
actually a trail to the beach.  We enjoyed
our picnic first on a federal table).
Free too.
 Tahoe Gal.
 The day for which we've all been waiting.
The Big 3-1/2 hour boat ride down the lake,
around Emerald Bay
and back.
"Good way to end the trip," Ed exclaims.
"I love Tahoe, Mom.  I'm with my favorite family."--Ed
 It was a lunch cruise.
But we didn't buy one thing.
Hamburgers were $15.00
$2 extra if you had anything on them.
Fortunate for our pocketbooks, we don't drink.
 This is where Ed got a V sunburn on his neck
where he didn't put sunscreen or button up.
 "Picturesque" Light House.
The highest in the world
at over 6000 feet above sea level.
 

 So this Swedish lady
spent 20 years buying up the land around
Emerald Bay
then had this house built.
She was friends with Frank Lloyd Wright
and Charles A. Lindbergh.
She had servants row her guests
to the only island in the lake
and served them tea
in the Tea House at the top.
Ed hanging out on the boat.
 The Captain and narrator.
 Someone told DeRay that he must have been
on this cruise at least 14 times
because he read the entire time.
A John Grisham novel.
He couldn't put it down.
 The Salt Flats
Oh yes,
we are finally to the end of a "hellish" week
for a semi-agoraphobia-ite,
who counts the days and nights
forwards and backwards
until we arrive safely home.
I know I should be grateful every moment
because at our age, who knows
which trip will be our last?

LAKE TAHOE,
WE LOVE YOU!

Be warned:
I added more of Amy's pictures to this blog
and I may yet add more.
Her photos are breathtaking.
You can tell which of these are hers.