Sunday, June 27, 2021

Double Whammy

 As the original neighborhood is growing older

several have had hip or knee replacements. 

I had a complicated full hip replacement

the day before Thanksgiving 2020,

ending up in ICU

receiving three blood transfusions 

and a rod in my left femur also.

The doctor truly performed a miracle.

He didn't do at all what he planned to do,

which was repair the fractured pelvic bone. 

I was slow to wake up

but when I did, he said I responded to everything. 

"I don't remember."

"No, and you never will."

The pain was gone.

I was so grateful.

A different orthopedic surgeon

did a full left-knee replacement

on April 8, 2021.

The recovery was much more difficult

but I was forewarned

and had excellent care and support.

Through both surgeries plus the

cement and radiation in my back

to relieve the pressure from the fractured vertebrae.

I have not missed a cancer treatment.

Yes, some neighbors have had hip and knee replacement,

even back surgery.

Some people have all that plus infusions

for metastatic breast cancer.

I'm one of the some.



No comments: