Friday, December 17, 2010

COMMUNICATION


       It was nearly 11 PM before I went in Ed’s room;
Noting that it was cold I reached for his flannel shirt.
It was then I saw his dress pants on the floor.
Flash.
What day is it?
“Did you miss mutual tonight?”
“Yes,” he answered upsetily.
It was the Christmas party.
I recalled than when he came down to dinner
He hung around, wandering aimlessly.
Why didn’t I notice he was ready for mutual?
Why didn’t a light flash then?
He didn’t say anything.
I felt so badly.
He has so little to do.
So few places to go.
Minimum contact with people.
He looks forward to mutual once a week.
“Ed, you’ve got to talk.
We forget.
You can’t expect us to read your mind.”
Amy suggested that he only goes to mutual
When he tells us he wants to go.
It’s his responsibility to remember;
Not ours.
He never forgets but we do
And if he doesn’t say anything
He can’t go.
That’s the new rule.

No comments: