Monday, May 9, 2011

Old Jokes Never Die; They just transmute

I think it started with Grandpa Pugh.  He was always saying to his grandchildren, “Ed or Brooke or Matthew or Mark or Brad, the squirrels want you.  They think you’re nuts.”
“The monkeys want you; they think you’re bananas.”
Ed repeated them so much, one year his seminary class gave him a shirt with one quote on the front and the other one on the back.  Everyone in the class signed it, adding slogans of their own.  He wore it for years.
I’ve forgotten all the others he invented.  There were hosts.
I hadn’t thought about them for a long time until Ed made up a new one this morning:
“Gnocchi, (the cat) the birds want you; they think you're a tweet.”
(Actually, it’s the other way around.  Both cats chase birds all day; obviously thinking they would be a treat!)

No comments: