Sunday, May 1, 2011

RELIGION PART I

I have been fascinated with the logic and beauty of the words of the Tibetan Monk I listened to on the Podcast:
 We believe that attachment
is the basis for all suffering.
You wouldn’t get angry if you realized
that what makes you angry is not going to last.
You have to understand the impermanence of all things,
except our minds.
Even the most horrible situation doesn’t last.
Why be jealous?  Why be proud?  Nothing lasts.
We waste our lives getting attached
to meaningless things.
Delusions temporarily obscure our mind;
the potential may be obscured
but can never be taken away.
Everything we get in this life we lose;
always decaying; can’t hold onto.
Impermanence of things is inescapable.
We get attached to so many things that have no value.
The work of this life is endless;
never brings satisfaction.
First World countries offers so many comforts;
yet we have all these things
and still find life empty and meaningless.
What is fantastic?
What is wonderful?
What is reliable?
The mind.
It doesn’t decay, it doesn’t rust.
Definition of mind:
That which is clear and knowing.
Not talking about the brain,
or electrical images produced by the brain.
Our mind is beginningless and endless.
The deluded mind comes to an end
but the true mind is indestructible.
It knows, experiences, feels.
Nothing else does that.
Only the mind does that.
The mind sees things as they actually are.
The mind knows; it has the potential
to know everything perfectly
when delusions are removed.
Free mind of disturbing thoughts
and the mind will know.
Anger and hate are gone.
The mind knows another human being with love;
knows with compassion 100%.
We all have some degree of kindness, patience,
generosity, intelligence, love, compassion,
tolerance, perseverance, sensitivity, wisdom.
The true nature of our mind will never betray us.
‘We can rely on, take refuge in,
the pure nature of our mind.
The deluded mind lies to us.
Treat every sentinel being
as if they were your kind mother.
How could you possibly harm anyone
who has possibly been your mother?
Father?  Brother?  Sister?  Friend?
Wake up and use this life in a meaningful way.
 May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.
       Ancient Tibetan Buddhist Blessing
    Do you find that enthralling?  Beautiful?

I considered these exponents with interest
until in answer to a question, he said:
“You’re asking me if God exists?
God as Creator does not exist;
the Creator does not exist.”
STOP.
Suddenly, I knew
How very much
I value our concept of a loving Heavenly Father
who cares about me personally.
I need someone to look over me.
To be there for me.
He can appoint a Guardian Angel.
I’d like that.
I just have to know that
someone with more sense than I’ve got
can guide and direct me.
I don’t think we can do it alone.
It’s too hard.
I believe the Joseph Smith story.
I believe he saw God the Father
and His Son Jesus Christ
when he prayed for guidance.
I feel a great deal of comfort
in the teachings of my youth;
I like to believe these things.
I believe Jesus lived on this earth
and died for our sins
that we may all be resurrected
and live with God, the Creator, again.

No comments: