Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Giant Jigsaw Puzzle

When last we visited with my sister, Shirley,
Who always was considered the wise one in the family
Even before she turned 82,
Shirley
 She philosophized:
“Life is like a jigsaw puzzle.
As you get older,
you begin to see how all the pieces fit together.
I always wondered
why Mama could run circles around me.
She had so much energy.
And walking behind Daddy at the herd,
I would be so tired.
I would never say anything;
I didn’t want him to know I couldn’t keep up.
But I didn’t think I would make it."
Dr. Norris, the country doctor,
who delivered my sister
diagnosed a heart problem.
Largely ignored
until later years
when symptoms couldn’t be overlooked.
Pulmonary Hypertension.
Even though her heart and lungs are strong,
the vessels between them collapse,
curtailing the vital blood supply.
She was fortunate enough to quality for
an expensive experimental drug called
Tracleer.
It doesn’t cure;
but it may prevent further deterioration;
greatly enhancing the quality of life.
She looks younger than she did ten years ago.
With the help of her daughter,
she raises a big garden, bottles
(albeit with an oxygen tank on her back).
“Now I understand why, even as a child,
I couldn’t keep up with Mama and Daddy.
All the pieces are fitting together
like a giant jigsaw puzzle.”
she concludes.
 “That’s not the way it is with me,” I acknowledge.
“Life is like a jigsaw puzzle, yes.
But one by one the puzzle is being pulled apart;
the pieces put back in the box
until the entire puzzle is dismantled
and the box is closed.”

No comments: