Horror of Horrors
I forgot to turn the dishwasher on
before I went to bed.
Is that your worst nightmare
to have a dishwasher full of
dirty dishes when the power goes off?
It’s 1:30 AM; the wind just picked up per predictions.
I need to remember to turn the dishwasher on
first thing in the morning, I think.
What if the power is off in the morning?
There is NO question about it. It will be off.
Things much smaller than East Winds
knock our power out frequently.
We’ve had years of East Wind Experience.
One time in Farmington in about 1964
my mother got the shock of her life
when she saw a wheelbarrow fly across our patio
about 4 feet in the air.
It wasn’t ours.
| Clouds hanging on the mountains warn of East Winds. Note the tree that blocks the mountain range and shades our garden. |
So I tread downstairs and turn the dishwasher on
then lie for an hour while the winds howl--
banging, clunking, hitting objects against the house--
hoping against hope the power doesn’t go off
until the dishwasher is finished.
Ed stays in bed as long as possible.
He’s very angry the power is out
and he can’t watch his programs
or listen to his music.
| Ed in bed to stay warm. |
DeRay, why is there no water in the toilets?
They don’t run on electricity.
Did the wind suck the water out?
The Great East Winds topped our Conifers |
Good Luck or Bad Luck?
We moved the utility trailer yesterday
readying the space to park Amy’s old car.
DeRay decided to wait to park it
until he got the oil changed and filled it with gas.
Right where it would have been parked
the top third of three 70-foot conifers crashed.
It would have been totaled.
The treetops scraped the side and rear of the van.
Shingles scraping across the hood
on both the van and Cavalier
did minor damage.
Nevertheless, in auto repair,
there is no minor damage.
Dents and scrapes are costly.
“I wish Amy hadn’t gone to work,” I say to DeRay
as I come downstairs after a sleepless night
“She does too,” he replied.
“A flying garbage can hit her car on Legacy Highway.”
Front fender, driver’s door, bumper, signal light, headlight;
And sadly, the mud guards she paid extra for shattered.
The shingles are blowing off our roof.
This is going to be an expensive wind.
Whoops, there goes some aluminum siding.
I put soup on the fireplace to heat up;
Water to boil for herbal tea.
Ed is still in bed – warm.
I don’t know how long this house will stand.
It feels like it’s going to blow to smithereens.
9:42 AM
My clothes line just snapped.
We have watched four big trees blow down
at the Dennys across the street.
Two conifers and two Coronado Lindens.
| Dennys across the street. |
| Two more on this side. |
This raging gale is getting on my nerves.
Lo-caw
Saum-aus-da
Suki-no
Bauv-on-to
Oooohhhmmmm.
I’m still tense.
Message Mix-up
DeRay prayed to get rid of his shingles.
And the shingles on our house fly away.
We divined the 80’ high tree on the north
shading our garden and dropping trash on our lawn
to blow away.
Mighty trees all around it tumbled.
It stands, unscathed.
(Well, one limb fell and crushed our peach tree.)
We could have collected insurance money
if Amy’s Cavalier had been totaled;
Instead a flying garbage can damaged her new car.
What is going on here? Are we not clear?
And our newspaper didn’t get delivered
or it blew to Timbuktu.
While DeRay is at the Insurance Office,
I go down in the basement
and step in water.
I pick up about 15 carpet squares.
I don’t know where the water is coming from.
“Now we’re getting our basement flooded,”
I whine to Eddy.
“Last time we had that the Ward helped.
That sure made my day.”
Our basement always has to steal the show.
Whenever we have one problem,
it draws attention unto itself
by sucking water in.
Always a different trick.
It turned out to be a leaking filter
so when DeRay gets home,
he turns the water off.
Now we are without electricity and water.
Great.
“Too bad we’re not out of town,” Ed says.
“I’m glad we’re here to protect our stuff.”
(Although there is nothing we can do but let it rip.)
“I’m not,” Ed says, “it’s so boring.”
My first bit of news is when I venture out after noon
to look over the damage.
Karen Roylance tells me the power company says
the power may be off for 48 hours.
Ed reminds us it will get dark early.
“Expects gusts until 10 PM.”
“Wind gusts at 105 mph.”
| The Strader home was the most damaged in our neighborhood. Garage door went through the back window. |
| Larry Dorius estate on Fairfield |
| Institute at DATC |
As I take pictures,
I hear chain saws already.
I’m surprised I don’t hear a lawnmower,
this is such a meticulous neighborhood.
Some. Not all.
Not us.
It’s so vastly quiet.
Eerie.
Now the wind has died down.
No TV. No telephone. No dishwasher.
No washer or dryer. No vacuum.
No beeps, buzzes, squawks, dings, rings.
Just eerie silence
Our ears are not accustomed to stillness.
Except I still have the vibrating ring in my deaf ear.
I wish the power company could fix it.
I think I’ll call them.
Wait!
No telephone.
Cell phone?
I must conserve my battery.
3:30 PM
No mail.
No power.
Are we going to lose everything in the freezers?
I’m a little bored myself.
I could exercise.
I’ve got my i-Pod
but I don’t feel like it.
It will be dark in an hour.
I’ll read.
DeRay started the generator
so we can power the fridge and freezer for an hour or so.
Then he ran to town to buy a replacement filter
to try to fix the basement leak;
also, some oil for our lamps and a chimney
that broke but never was replaced.
and kerosene for the lantern.
Silly us.
Rows and rows of empty shelves
where emergency supplies were just yesterday.
He did get the filter fixed.
Water by 10:30 PM.
Yeah DeRay!
After watching the news,
my sister Shirley called to see if we survived.
“We got our Christmas shopping done,” I brag.
“We thought we were only getting four new tires
on Ed’s car for $650 for Christmas.
Our gifts have expanded:
$1000 deductible for house repairs.
$250 deductible for the van.
$250 deductible for the Cavalier.
Guess we can’t claim the $250 deductible
Amy will have to pay to get her car repaired.
$1,500 Christmas right there.
And then there will be $60 to replace the vents on the trailer.
not covered on house insurance either.
This may be our biggest Christmas ever!”
I think Shirley was impressed
knowing how much we are giving each other
for Christmas.
And we didn’t have to step foot in a store
or surf the Internet.
Without a c-pap machine, DeRay can’t sleep;
Without electricity, the c-pap machine doesn’t work.
Why do you think he was up at 5 AM this morning?
So he prepared to sleep sitting up in front of the fire.
Ed and I piled extra blankets on our beds
and went up to cold bedrooms.
Amy has a gas stove in her bedroom.
At 11:07, the power came one.
An 18-hour siege.
HALLELUJAH, Ed shouts from his bed.
Walking down the warm stairs this morning
With light to see and running water,
I feel the sweetness of rebirth that comes
after mayhem briefly altered our frail existence.
Now, I must go gather shingles and debris
off the porch and lawns,
at bare minimum.
*
The Cleanup
*
The Cleanup
RaJean's sister and her husband from Morgan cut up their 80' foot fallen tree for firewood. Then they came over and cut up ours. Imagine! Still suffering with the shingles, DeRay could never have done it. Maybe next spring; maybe not. Dennys picked up and hauled the branches away - after they single handedly (with the help of their son) did their own four trees. Last night while I was picking up shingles, Kathi walked over and helped me. Wonderful neighbors.
6 comments:
Even though it's awful all the damage to home and cars, I'm GLAD you made it thru safe!!!!!!!
The pictures are worse than I imagined. Please be careful as the winds are coming in again.
UNBELIEVABLE! It looks like a tornado hit! Call in the National Guard and FEMA! Thank heavens for good neighbors.
I'm glad you made it out alive. --Naomi
I'm glad you survived --Amanda
WOW! --Jan
If it wasn't so sad I might laugh at your story. Great Pictures. We drove around in the afternoon and it was definitely like a war zone. I couldn't believe the extent of it. I think we are protected down in our hole. We lost a little fascia on the font, that's all. Hopefully you can get everything back together.
When you have winds you have WINDS. Good writeup about the event.
Post a Comment