Saturday, June 2, 2012

Conversations in the Women's Locker Room


The women who was combing her hair
next to me chatted,
 “I guess everyone was a little nervous in the pool today.”
I was through with my laps,
doing bobs and stretches,
when she stopped swimming to ask me if I'm OK.
That has never happened before
but I’m glad she was vigilant.
Anything can occur in deep water.
“Thanks for checking.”
Within five minutes,
the life-guard climbs down from his perch,
walks clear across and down one side of the pool
to ask Ed if he is OK.
Ed keeps right on bobbing.
“He’s OK,” I call,
“but thanks for checking.”
I really like to swim where there are lifeguards,
especially as I get older.
Even though I was life-guard trained,
I don’t know if I could save Ed
and I know he wouldn’t save me.
Very sincerely,
Thanks for checking.

A few days earlier,
hearing a voice
as I'm packing my gym bag,
I look up.
“Oh, never mind!”
she hastily says when she sees my face,
“I was going to ask you if you have a tampon--
but I guess not.”
   Miscellany:
“My watch is worthless,”
I whine to Ed when it is nearly one-half hour slow again.
“Don’t tell me.  Tell Wal-Mart,”
he directs.


“Should we leave the light on for Amy?” I asked DeRay.
“What are we, Motel 6?” Ed chided.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Lifeguards just take the worry out!!