April 22 – 26, 2013
The Esplin Siblings originally from Orderville
recently held a partial reunion in SunRiver St. George
where Jerry’s family and ours each own a home.
I say, “partial” because only half could make it.
Our youngest sister, Verla, had to work.
Carol had to volunteer. It’s every bit as much commitment.
DeLoy’s wife, Grace, is unable to travel.
And Lucy died in January.
(Maybe Lucy came, I don’t know.
I can’t see into the secretive sphere.)
That left Shirley, Lynn, Jerry and me
As well as Jerry’s wife, Lana, Lynn’s wife Juanita.
DeRay, providing patient and capable taxi service,
and Ed make it eight.
Why do I feel inferior around my brothers?
As Jerry, Lynn, and I hiked to a Snow Canyon overlook,
they could identify nearly every bug and bush;
not necessarily the scientific names
but “what Daddy used to call them.”
Where was I when they were getting this on-hands education?
Oh, the tales they tell of herding sheep
when just wee lads.
Even after Daddy died and we sold the sheep,
they herded for their cousins.
What do you do when you herd sheep?
You don’t have to feed and water them
like cats, dogs, parakeets, and fish in a bowl?
How do you know where you are in those vast hills
and where the sheep need to be and why?
How do you know when they are lost
when they are no fences or visible boundaries?
It astounds me.
| Can you picture Hang Gliders swooping down to read the sign telling them to not land? |
And what was I doing while they were
playing football and basketball,
running and pole vaulting?
Surely I did something with my time.
That can hike higher and faster.
Find more isinglass at the Glitter Pit.
Interpret petroglyphs.
Juanita and DeRay thought they could see little birds
peeping out of this gigantic nest
but Jerry says its mistletoe.
How does he know?
Their wives are not inferior.
Multi-talented and knowledgeable.
I cannot hide behind my femininity.
Lana took us on a tour of the lapidary lab
and the computer lab where she teaches classes
and is an officer. President, I believe.
She’s also involved in the SunRiver Singers.
She gave us all stones and spent an afternoon
teaching us to wire wrap.
| Septarian from the Cove near Orderville; Agate and Carnalian according to Lana. Check out the "wire wrap". |
From Miss Kane County and college Homecoming Queen
to Stake Relief Society President,
Juanita has been a popular and effectual leader.
Both excellent cooks and homemakers.
***
Why do I feel inferior to my brothers?
Is it Mama’s fault because all through childhood
she gave the boys the biggest piece of cake or pie
and served them first?
![]() |
| Mama and Shirley 1929 |




No comments:
Post a Comment