Easter Evening
arriving in sunny St. George.
we walk into our house that has been
rented for the past six months.
Three different renters.
Immaculate.
A cheery potted plant greets us;
Crocheted throws precisely placed on
matching chairs on either side.
Fresh cut daisies on the patio.
Too cute.
A potted plant centerpiece in the dining
room.
Candles on the mantle.
Everything is shiny
and bright.
The
mirrors, windows, oven door, showers.
No smudges on the walls or door frames.
Fans dusted.
Baseboards clean as a whistle.
Counters pristine.
Carpets and tile impeccable.
Who has done
this?
I want to meet
this woman.
Every drawer organized to the hilt.
Each towel, cloth and rag folded to
perfection.
| We had messed things up a bit before I remembered to take pictures. |
Even each shelf in the laundry room.
Cleaning materials and soap lined up like
soldiers on parade.
Paper towels between each precisely
placed pot and pan.
Every corner, crevice,
crack and cranny spotless.
I am in awe.
A green ribbon tied around the extra
toilet paper roll.
The toilet paper on the holder folded to
a V.
The garage, the
entry way, the patio.
All perfect.
Beyond perfect.
“Is she fat?” I
asked DeRay, who met them when they moved in.
I’ve got to find
something wrong with this woman.
Amy says I’m
insulting, insinuating fat is bad.
I don’t mean
that.
I only mean it’s
not perfect.
I
should know.
The next day,
they drop by.
(She’s
thin and beautiful.)
They didn’t
really go home to Montana.
They are house
and dog-sitting for their friends up the street.
I thanked her
from the bottom of my heart
for this
amazing Easter gift.
“Are you
obsessive compulsive?”
Amy says I
insulted her again.
Inquiring minds
want to know.
I want what she’s
got.
I want to be like
her when I grow up,
even though
she’s younger than I am.
How I love the
drawers and shelves organized and beautiful.
Even the junk drawer.
Even the spatulas and spoons.
I am inspired to
go home and start cleaning;
one drawer
or shelf or closet a day.
To surround
myself with beauty and order.
“Do you live like
this every day or just at the end?”
“Every
day,” her husband blurts.
How would it be?
“You have to had
been in the hotel management business,”
I say
to her.
“No one else
would know all the appealing welcoming tricks of the trade.”
“Yes, in Montana
we ran a Dude Ranch that is rated #1 in America
and #2 in the world.”
And they stayed
in our humble abode, transforming it into a castle
in two
short months.
As the week went
by,
I thought I would find something wrong,
A chink in the armor.
An Achilles’ Heel.
Instead I found
more order and cleanliness to amaze me.
Everything is
clean and tidy and beautiful beyond belief.
Well, okay, the
toilet paper was on the roll backwards for me
But I’m different from most everyone else
So I can’t fault that.
In her honor, I didn’t change it.
We just spent a
week in heaven.
I didn’t know it
would mean so much to me.
I joyfully believe
in Fairytales and Castles and the
Transforming
gifts of Easter
1 comment:
I've been wondering when we would get a new post and today you answered. :) What a great gift! Instead of the chaos of cleaning, you have to do after renters leave, you got a clean home.
Post a Comment