We just got back from
spending a week with
my husband’s siblings.
You couldn’t ask for
a kinder, more congenial and fun group.
Sometimes I think
they are nicer to me than my own family.
Yet no matter how
hard we try,
I am not one of them.
They connect.
Do you see what I’m
saying?
I’ve been going to their
family reunions for 59 years;
I’m still an
outsider.
From the beginning,
all of the men were
accepted
even if they smoke or
drink
or are womanizers.
Well, if they smoke,
they may have to
stand outside the circle while smoking
but as soon as they put
the cigarette out, they are welcomed in.
Whereas
a woman in-law
can be the epitome of
virtue,
a flawless homemaker,
wife and mother;
devoted to duty,
honorable, kind.
(not me; but others I know)
Still she is never
acknowledged
or truly accepted;
she even may be scorned
behind her back.
I’ve heard it.
She can peel the
potatoes
and wash the dishes.
Of course.
When Amy was little,
she resented Grandpa offering the boys,
but never the girls,
a quarter
to gather wood,
pick up the trash around camp,
or catch a chipmunk.
When Amy was little,
she resented Grandpa offering the boys,
but never the girls,
a quarter
to gather wood,
pick up the trash around camp,
or catch a chipmunk.
“I can’t
feel too rejected,” I say to my husband.
“Your
dad treats your mother the same way—or worse.”
Maybe
the high altitude and inconvenience of camping
were not
the only reasons she didn’t like to come.
In
bygone days, men were socialized to meet
the stereotypes
of macho men;
It’s
hard for them
to give
up the stance of supremacy
and
embrace equal rights and radical things like that.
Maybe
that is still a hint of a problem today -
not
acknowledged; but hard to let go.
Or is
it just plain and simple that
blood
is thicker than water?
2 comments:
I know exactly how you feel. Blood is thicker.
This is Carol, There is one thing you can be happy about, you are the best looking. Plus you get to go to interesting places with them.
Be thankful you have an extended family.
Post a Comment