Friday, February 28, 2014

No Answer

   When we moved in next door to Alison in Bountiful, she had six children and I had one.  Maybe it was because we got off to such a rocky start that we became good friends.  One of her boys shot my sister's dog while she and her husband were helping us move in.  The dog didn't die and they paid the medical bills but we were getting the silent treatment so I ventured over to try to mend fences.  That was nearly 50 years ago.
   I wrote a blog* about how we discovered our great grandfathers were from the same Parish in Scotland, even though she was reared in Australia and I grew up in Southern Utah.  Even before her husband died shortly after their return from a mission in Bolivia, they sold their home in Bountiful and moved into a smaller home in Farmington, not five miles from where I live now.  Two or three times Eddy and I ran into her over by Oakridge Country Club when she was walking and we were triking.  She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about the same time I discovered I have thyroid cancer.  We both chose not to have more surgery.
   Being of English descent, we both are reticent and don't keep in as close of touch as we should and would like.  We once had a gregarious friend who got us together often.  Even as she was dying of cancer, she counseled us on friendship and how friends spend time together.  "Jeanette, you haven't been to see me now that I'm bedridden."  "When can I come and spend the day?"  Even though I had moved away, she made sure her husband called me when she passed away.  I always appreciated her candid tutoring on how friends treat each other.  Alison and I need her still.
   Early this week, I set aside an hour in the afternoon to call Alison.  No. answer.  I kept trying.  She's 87.  Has something happened?  I finally e-mailed her.
   On Monday, February 24, 2014 2:33 PM, Jeanette Hugh wrote:
   Are you OK?
   I've been trying to call you and no answer.
   Wondering how you are and wanting to get together with you.
   No response.
   Until today:
   On 2/27/2014 10:37 PM, Alison Reeder wrote:
   Just got back tonight from a trip to Australia.  Bruce (her son) had work in Adelaide so his wife, Christine, and I tagged along.
   I'm doing well.  Let's get together any time that is convenient for you.  Not the next Thursday though.  Let me know.
   Oh, Alison, you are such a hoot.  I want to be like you when I grow up.  Here I am worrying myself sick over you and you're gallivanting off to Australia yet one more time.  Good for you!
 *It's a Small, Small World. Nov. 8, 2010

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are so lucky to have a friend like Allison.
:) Carol