Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sleep


Nights are so much fun.
I used to agree with Eddy.
“The best time of the day,”
(He cites each night when it’s time to go to bed.)
First of all,
I can’t seem to get to bed at 11.
On good nights, like last night,
It’s around 11:20.
Hooked on TV,
DeRay comes up around 1 or . . . .
He can’t comprehend why I can’t sleep
while I’m worried he’s collapsed on the couch
and needs resuscitation;
Or why his fiddling around in the bedroom,
brushing his teeth, stumbling over the garbage can;
a loud beep when he turns his oxygen machine on;
then bounding and wiggling to get settled in bed
bothers me.
Suddenly he’s snoring (lightly with his sleep apnea mask on).
Can I get to sleep?
Twenty or so terse naps in six or seven hours.
Ice packs.  Hot pad.  Killer knees.
The inevitable bathroom breaks.
Twitching, turning; - therapeutic?
Then I wonder why I’m tired all the time.
Whatever happened to going to sleep
and waking up rested 6 or 7 hours later?
Blessed bygone era.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

the summer time heat is what gotten me not sleeping... and any little other distraction drives me absolutely insane, but this is no where near to what is bugging you.

Here's to relief!!!