Mr. Nice Guy
We used to call him Mr. America.
He has a perfect physique - all muscle and sinew.
He swims like a demon, stretching at least 45 minutes before.
He said he didn't take up swimming until he was 45.
Now he coaches two high school swim teams as well as the community team.
The only time I have visited with him,
He told me that his wife left him.
He put her through college; she got a job as a Ranger at Red Canyon near Bryce
And she hasn't been home since.
Usually Ed and I are lucky enough to get the first lane at the pool -
Usually Ed and I are lucky enough to get the first lane at the pool -
The only lane officially designated as a lap swimming lane.
Thursday when we went Mr. America and another strong swimmer
Were swimming in those lanes.
We found another spot and thought nothing of it.
Friday, he stopped me while we were swimming in our usual lanes.
"I'm sorry we took your lanes yesterday.
I tried to get her to give them to you
but she said, 'I was here first.'
I explained to her that Ed likes to swim on the edge
But she wouldn't budge."
"Good for her. It's fine for us to adapt.
As long as we have a place to swim we are not complaining."
"I really wanted to move for you."
"You are nice. Thank you."
What a guy.
Mr. America
Mr. Nice Guy
Warms the cockles of my heart.
Other unrelated stories:
I don't know why but I wanted to wear a long skirt to Fine Arts Club. I know that everyone else wears dress pants or even jeans. I have some blue and orange Chocos that match perfectly my favorite long skirt, also blue and orange; but it is cold and not wanting my feet to freeze, I decide to put on some socks. Off-white. "I've got to get out of here before Amy comes home," I tell DeRay, "she'll laugh at me for wearing socks with sandals." I knew it didn't look the best but I didn't realize how bad until Leta came up to me after the book review and asked me if I'd had foot surgery. I laugh to myself every time I think about it. I'll never make that mistake again.
"I'm not going to tell you what to do," I say to Ed.
"That's what mothers are for."
"No. Mothers are useless."
"USEFUL," he corrects.
No comments:
Post a Comment