Friday, February 17, 2017

Happier, Healthier, and More Creative

An obituary in the newspaper read: Our mother was a classy lady; always dressed to the nines. She never left the house without makeup, jewelry and perfume.
I’m 99.9% sure that I will not be remembered that way. I like to wear sweats every day; take pride in the fact that I can do my hair in 5 minutes—just gel, no blow dryer or curling iron; no perfume, minimum jewelry. Heck, I can do all my morning stretches in the time most people spend doing their hair and makeup. This one lady at the gym spends an hour, I swear, doing her hair and makeup. Gooey stuff on her eye lashes, eye liner, thick makeup, not to mention all the steps she takes on her hair. "Are you getting beautiful to go to work or to have lunch with the Queen of England?" I asked her one day. "No. I'm retired. I'm just going home." I told DeRay if it took me that long to do my hair and makeup after I swim, I would never go swimming. I'm in and out of the dressing room in 20 minutes, including a shower. I waste make-up money in other ways, like pills for my joints that may or may not help.
So how will my obituary read?
How will I be remembered?
I think I want to be known as a “Person of Nature”. Out in nature is where I feel the most content. Especially this week, after I listened to a podcast where Doug Fabrizio interviewed Florence Williams, the author of The Nature Fix, an intrepid investigation into nature’s restorative benefits. Why does nature makes us happier, healthier and more creative? 
For centuries, poets and philosophers extolled the benefits of a walk in the woods: Beethoven drew inspiration from rocks and trees; Wordsworth composed while tromping over the heath; Nikola Tesla conceived the electric motor while visiting a park. Intrigued by our storied renewal in the natural world, Florence Williams sets out to uncover the science behind nature's positive effects on the brain.
From forest trails in Korea, to islands in Finland, to groves of eucalyptus in California, Williams investigates the science at the confluence of environment, mood, health, and creativity. Delving into completely new research, she uncovers the powers of the natural world to improve health, promote reflection and innovation, and ultimately strengthen our relationships. As our modern lives shift dramatically indoors, these ideas—and the answers they yield—are more urgent than ever.
Humans are born with an innate love for other moving things and if we don’t cultivate it at an early age, we can lose it. The biggest exodus of all time is not only moving from rural areas to the city but migrating from the out-of-doors to indoors. In one study, 79% of mothers said they went outside every day; 29% of children spend time outside every day. That’s in one generation.  We have pivoted further away from nature than any generation before us. We are afflicted with mass generational amnesia. How can we get nature back in our lives in order to be our best selves?
They did a study involving tens of thousands of people, asking about their moods. Most people were most unhappy when at work or were sick. The majority were happiest when outside. It didn’t matter who they were with or what they were doing, they were significantly happier when they were outside. Being out in nature takes away stress, makes us think more clearly. Why are we spending so much time indoors away from nature?
Another study, they had people walk for 15 minutes in the woods while another group walked 15 minutes in the city. The cortisone, a hormone produced by the adrenal cortex, levels, which measures stress, were significantly lower in the people who walked in the woods. So exercise is not the answer.
Nature heals. Nature can elevate our immune system for up to three weeks. We are a part of nature; always have been; always will be. In the United States, we are trained to think that nature is something we dominate, utilize, change.  Instead, nature changes our brains and our bodies. When we are in nature, we stop taking ourselves so seriously.
We are not always the best judges of what is best for ourselves. For example, we think going shopping will make us feel good, or watching television; while under-valuing how good nature will make us feel.
Other countries have taken this more seriously. In Japan they have forest bathing. You just hang out in the forest, strolling or sitting; opening up all five senses to the woods; paying attention to what you are smelling, what you are feeling—feeling the breeze on your face. Learning to be mindful.  Smells reach the brain quickly – changing mood, changing behavior; invigorating us, making us more calm, less stressed, more energy; boasting our moods.
They locked people in a hotel room. In one room they misted with essential oils from the Cyprus trees.  For the other group, they sprayed water.  The group that were misted with essential oil had much healthier profiles.  
We were evolved to walk, walk, walk; to sit around the campfire and talk.
Air pollution not only affects our lungs, the particles go through the nose directly into the brain. Air pollution in this country kills three times more people than traffic accidents.
The dominant perception is sight. They did a window studies.  After patients had gall bladder surgery, records showed that those who were placed by a window with beautiful views of lawns and flowers asked for less pain meditation and were released from the hospital sooner than those who had no window or the window only showed a brick wall. Even observing nature through a window is beneficial.
Doctors are beginning to prescribe nature as medicine.
Our Park Service is putting dollars and expertise into getting people into nature.
Our own David Strayer has known for a long time that there's a restorative power in nature. The University of Utah psychologist is an avid hiker, but his latest research quantifies the benefits of turning off your technology and getting outdoors. After 4 days in the wilderness with no cell phones, laptops or gadgets, people were 50% better at creative problem-solving.
Actually, after only three days in the wilds, something profound shifts in our brains, suddenly we are getting ideas we’ve never had before. Five hours a month in the woods, keeps people from getting depressed and helps them heal.
Perhaps if I emerge myself deeply within the healthy healing woods, I will never die; no obituary needed.

No comments: