From the time I heard Elie Wiesel speak at one of Brent’s graduations, I followed him and his ongoing quest to make sure that no one in the whole wide world was forgotten for years in prison camps, as the Jews had been during World War II. Even when he was criticized for interfering in other country’s problems, he persisted. He remembered his own desperation when he was forsaken.
Holocaust survivor
and Nobel Laureate, Elie Wiesel, gave an impassioned speech in the East Room of
the White House on April 12, 1999, as part of the Millennium Lecture series,
hosted by President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton.
In
the summer of 1944, as a teenager in Hungary, Elie Wiesel, along with his
father, mother and sisters, were deported by the Nazis to Auschwitz
extermination camp in occupied Poland. Upon arrival there, Wiesel and his
father were selected by SS Dr. Josef Mengele for slave labor and wound up at
the nearby Buna rubber factory.
Daily
life included starvation rations of soup and bread, brutal discipline, and a
constant struggle against overwhelming despair. At one point, young Wiesel
received 25 lashes of the whip for a minor infraction.
In
January 1945, as the Russian Army drew near, Wiesel and his father were
hurriedly evacuated from Auschwitz by a forced march to Gleiwitz and then via
an open train car to Buchenwald in Germany, where his father, mother, and a
younger sister eventually died.
Wiesel
was liberated by American troops in April 1945. After the war, he moved to
Paris and became a journalist then later settled in New York. Since 1976, he
has been Andrew Mellon Professor in the Humanities at Boston University. He has
received numerous awards and honors including the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize and
the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He was also the Founding Chair of the United
States Holocaust Memorial. Wiesel has written over 40 books including Night,
a harrowing chronicle of his Holocaust experience, first published in 1960.
At
the White House lecture, Wiesel was introduced by Hillary Clinton who stated,
"It was more than a year ago that I asked Elie if he would be willing to
participate in these Millennium Lectures...I never could have imagined that
when the time finally came for him to stand in this spot and to reflect on the
past century and the future to come, that we would be seeing children in Kosovo
crowded into trains, separated from families, separated from their homes,
robbed of their childhoods, their memories, their humanity."
You can read his speech
on the Internet.
I just
finished listening to his book Open Heart.
I have a greater understanding and empathy for my brother, DeLoy’s, open
heart surgery after listening to Elie Wiesel’s book. This excerpt from his book
is an incident that happened much earlier than his open heart surgery (when he
was 82 years old).
He had
just arrived from Paris in 1954. Being a correspondent for the Israeli Daily, he bought
the 1st edition of the paper. Clutching it under his arm, he crossed Times
Square to send his daily cable. That cable was never sent. He was run over by a
taxi and spent three months in the hospital in a full body cast.
He had multiple
fractures of the hips, the vertebrae, the ankles.
Fortunately,
he had made friends among his United Nations colleagues. From morning to night,
he was rarely alone.
“One of
them, Alexander Solberg, was endowed with a magnificent sense of humor
He loves
to makes me laugh.
And while
it makes me feel better, it also hurts.
On his
first visit, he wanted to know everything about my accident.
I
described my various fractures.
As I
mentioned each one, he said,
‘It could
be worse.’
I have terrible
headaches.
‘It could
be worse.’
My left
ankle is broken
‘It could
be worse.’
My knees
are on fire.
‘It could
be worse.’
Really Alexander,
what could be worse?
‘It could
have been me.'"
My
favorite expression in the book was when talked about his parents’ and
grandparents’ “murdered dreams.”
His talking about being in a full body cast,
reminded me of when Eddy was in a full body cast.
The doctor took skin from his leg to line his eye
socket
when they were trying to enlarge it.
He cut too deeply and the sore on his leg never
healed.
In desperation, they did a skin graft
and put him in a full-body cast so
he could not move.
In elementary school,
Brooke wrote a Haiku about it.
My little brother
Lies abed in body cast
Seven long days now.
2 comments:
I've been reading his books lately too...
I read the Night trilogy and All Rivers Lead to the Ocean....
Open Heart is still on my to read list...
He was so eloquent and hopeful....
All I can remember about my graduation is ETB declaring very forcefully that we should take the previous speaker's words to heart and literally MEMORIZE THEM.
It was like a 45-minute long speech we were supposed to memorize.
I think maybe it was Arthur Henry King who gave the memorization-worthy speech. But at this point in life I'm doing well to remember thy guy's name, let alone even the gist of what he talked about - not even to mention MEMORIZING IT, which is what ETB wanted us to do.
Post a Comment