Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Angelina Effect


Everybody knows the story of Angelina Jolie and her surgery to prevent breast cancer.  The story of how she—and tens of thousands of women—have been duped into expensive, emotionally and physically scarring surgeries they don’t need.
All to make the $17 billion breast cancer industry even richer.
Two years after Angelina’s story broke, a study in JAMA Surgery reported the damage: The rate of double mastectomies soared six-fold.
Once the media coverage praising her “preventative surgery” began, the damage was done. Thousands of women followed the celebrity’s mogul’s lead. ..opting for dangerous “double mastectomies” that would mutilate, disfigure and scar them. Even if they didn’t have breast cancer.
The scientific research shows it’s done absolutely nothing to help prevent or treat breast cancer.  In fact, researchers at Stanford University, Sloan-Kettering, and the University of Michigan, recently reached an incredible conclusion:  Not only are three-fourths of double mastectomies medically unnecessary, but the procedure does not improve—and actually worsens—patient survival rate.
Stanford University released the largest-ever study on breast cancer procedures.
They analyzed 190,000 breast cancer patients who received less-invasive lumpectomies compared to single and double mastectomies. There was NO DIFFERENCE IN THE SURVIVAL RATE. And in the case of double mastectomies, the survival rate actually worsened.
On this the media silence was deafening—and it all goes back to the $27 billion they rake in every year from Big Pharma.  Women pay the price so the hospitals, surgeons, and drug companies can make mega-profits. (gleaned from articles by Al Sears, M.D.)
My surgeon gave me the choice of a double mastectomy, single mastectomy, or lumpectomy. Then she made it easy for me when she said, “The recurrence rate is the same for all three.”


1 comment:

Jan H said...

When I first heard about people doing a "preventive" double mastectomy, I thought it was very extreme. I didn't think I could do something like that. How sad to find out that it really doesn't help.
I worked with a lady that fought through breast cancer. Later she had a problem with her uterus. She told them to take out everything because her sister and mother both died of ovarian cancer. I understood where she was coming from. She thought she would live a long life after that. Sadly the breast cancer returned taking her life.