Sunday, October 28, 2018

Damned if you do; Damned if you don't


I didn’t know until I went
off the cancer medication for three weeks
how bone-weary I was.
I have more stamina now
with general feelings of well-being.
I’m still old
but there’s a spark that
had been extinguished.
Dr. Henry took me off the medication
for three weeks to
see if it was contributing
to my joint pain
(one of the side-effects).
It’s hard to tell because joint pain
intensity ebbs and flows.
“How about if I don’t go back on any medication?
I read that 60% of breast cancer never recurs
even without treatment.
If you are one of the 40%,
you just have the lump removed again.”
“Trouble is,
the cancer generally comes back
somewhere else.
Somewhere less treatable.”
So she’s changing the medication –
with different side-effects
that I will have to deal with.
Three blessed weeks.

1 comment:

brhugh said...

sounds like you're right. None of the choices are good. It's a week later. Any better options now?