DeRay
and I watched the version of Wuthering Heights made in 1992 last night. I would
like to see again the version with Katharine Hepburn. I don’t think she would
have been quite so giggly.
Many
people consider Wuthering Heights to be a straightforward, if intense, love
story — Romeo and Juliet on the Yorkshire Moors. But this is a mistake. Really
the story is one of revenge. It follows the life of Heathcliff, a mysterious
gypsy-like person, from childhood (about seven years old) to his death in his
late thirties. Heathcliff rises in his adopted family and then is reduced to
the status of a servant, running away when the young woman he loves decides to
marry another. He returns later, rich and educated, and sets about gaining his
revenge on the two families that he believed ruined his life.
I
agree it is a love story and also a tragic story of revenge.
Another
angle not mentioned is the adopted gypsy boy Heathcliff following his DNA, his
instincts, “the apple not falling far from the tree” - a child usually has a
similar character or similar qualities to his or her parents. The genetic gene runs deep. I believe it is
dominate in spite of our environment. That’s just my gut feeling from
experience.
Remember
Lucy Temerlin (1964–1987), a chimpanzee owned by the Institute for Primate
Studies in Oklahoma, and raised by Maurice K. Temerllin, Ph.D, a psychotherapist and professor at the
University of Oklahoma and his wife, Jane W. Temerlin.
Temerlin
and his wife raised Lucy as if she were a human child, teaching her to eat with
silverware, dress herself, flip through magazines, and sit in a chair at the
dinner table. She was taught American Sign Language by primatologist Roger
Fouts as part of an ape language project and eventually learned 140 signs. Fouts
has written that when he arrived at Lucy's home at 8:30 every morning, Lucy
would greet him with a hug, take the kettle, fill it with water, find two cups
and tea bags, and serve the tea.
By
the time she was 12, Lucy had become very strong and was very destructive in
the Temerlin house. She would tear the
living room to sheds in minutes. They
actually had to cage her, eventually sending her back to the wilds.
At
first, she picked up their traits, including language, customs, and mannerisms;
maybe even beliefs; charming their family life.
As she got older, more of her hereditary instincts manifest and she did
not fit in at all.
Did
Heathcliff’s genetics have any bearing on his actions? Was it more than love
and revenge? Was it manifest destiny?
2 comments:
I jokingly call Wuthering Heights "Moping on the Moors". I know it's a classic but it is one of my least favorite books....but this is one of my favorite things about books, they all resonate with us differently...
Somehow I got it in my head that Wuthering Heights was one of your favorite books. How wrong I was. I must have mixed it up with something else. What is your favorite book?
Post a Comment