When
I first saw this picture on Klarissa’s phone in a slightly dark room,
I
thought it was Daddy.
I didn’t know Brooke had a high forehead like Daddy.
I
think because Brooke is lying down
in the trauma unit at UCLA hospital after
his accident,
it reminded me of Daddy in the casket.
That was 72 years ago
so
I’m sure my 10-year-old memory is flawed.
Nevertheless, the resemblance shocked
me.
J. Lynn Esplin 1904-1947
When Brooke put his photo in the program
that tells you who you most look like,
my mother and dad came up first.
Brooke didn't appreciate me comparing him
to my father in his casket.
I guess he's a little sensitive
after his brush with death.
I guess he's a little sensitive
after his brush with death.
His family was body surfing in the ocean
when a big wave struck them all but
Brooke was closest to shore
and it threw him against the sand,
breaking his neck in two places,
four teeth, an abrasion on his forehead
and multiple other injuries.
Because California had a couple of
big earthquakes the week before,
Ed didn't want them to go.
"I don't think they should go to California.
I want Brooke to take his family someplace safe."

No comments:
Post a Comment