Thursday, September 19, 2019

I Have Failed Indeed

Nearly every day as I do the simple exercises
the physical therapist taught me,
while doing the side-stepping
I sing to myself:
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad
and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
As I feel like doing less and less,
I feel more and more like I have failed indeed.
If I’m not doing anything,
why am I here?

Since I’ve had shingles.
I’ve felt more worthless.
I was sort of saying this to
Becky VanDyke at Fine Arts Club last night,
(forcing myself to go)
She said something like,
“My mother lived to be 92
and I still miss her every single day.
Just to have her with us,
to talk to her,
to feel her presence.”
Is just being here enough?
Have I done Any Good?
--Will L. Thompson 1847-1909


2 comments:

desplingca said...

The answer is "Yes!"

JJ said...

That makes me feel better.