I hate hearing aids.
I do.
You can hear every rattle and scratch,
crackle and crunch
but you can’t tell what people are saying
around the dinner table.
Sometimes they’re on and sometimes they’re off
for no apparent reason.
They hide from you and
get lost in the strangest places.
For example,
you’re not supposed to use hairspray
with hearing aids in
so I take them out.
If I don’t have pockets
I might wind them in the
stretchy waistband of my pants
so the hairspray doesn’t hit them.
Then if you’re, say around 83-years-old,
you forget about them completely.
An hour later as we’re zooming up the freeway,
I remember them.
WHERE ARE THEY?
Was I upstairs or down?
I feel in my waist band and find the hearing aid.
Whew.
It scares me too.
Where is the transmitter?
In the hallway, kitchen, garage, driveway?
Neither Amy nor I has our cell phone
so we borrow a cell phone and
call DeRay.
He looks for a good half-hour.
On the way home,
I’m rubbing my thighs and
feel something. .
"Amy, I think I found my transmitter!”
I reach down my pantleg and
HALLALUJAH!
I’m always going to put them someplace safe.
They are not going to hide from me ever again.
I promise.
The very next morning,
as the water hits my head in the shower
and after Ed and I have been swimming
for an hour and
ten minutes,
I touch the hearing aid in my left ear.
I am sick.
I didn’t have the transmitter in
because I was
listening to books on tape
while eating breakfast.
“I need Elder Care,”
I moan to DeRay & Amy when we walk in the door.
Amy put it in rice.
We’ll know in a few days.
Do you see why I hate hearing aids?
They are so naughty.
No comments:
Post a Comment