Sunday, February 2, 2020

Legacy

Every since I got my death warrant,
I have wondered what noble legacy I will leave.
Hard as I try,
I cannot think of one single thing.
In fact, it only served to remind me of where I have failed.
Very discouraging.
Then
Peggy Fletcher Stack put a notice on Facebook
to share challenges they volunteered for
and overcame 
to be published in the daily newspaper.
A week or so later, the article appeared:
“From beating addiction to riding a bike in crazy traffic
or letting gray hair show. . .”
B-I-N-G-O
Shelly Cleveland, Cedar City, wrote:
“Letting my hair go gray.
Doesn’t sound too hard, right?
Just stop dyeing your hair.
Well, it didn’t take long before the negative feedback started!
‘You’re too young to go gray.'
'Mom, it makes you look so old!’
One man even asked my husband if I was his mother.
Still, I made the goal to see it through.
It took me a full year,
But I did it.
I am sad society puts such restrictions
and stereotypes on us.
I didn’t let myself go.
I finally let myself be myself.”
For me, I didn’t let my hair turn gray
on purpose;
I was just too lazy to color it one more time.
Still, I’m going to bow, curtsy
and take credit for overcoming a hard thing
even though I still get a little scared every time
I see myself in the mirror

No comments: