I’m intrigued with Buddhism.
I like their teachings and beliefs.
They are so confusing.
I’ve been listening to the Zen podcasts for several months now and still have no idea what they are talking about but I like them. They soothe me. As I’m listening, I have a reverence for all things good and beautiful, including myself and everyone I know.
This is a story told on humility:
This Buddha teacher is meditating in front of the alter. “I’m nobody,” he chants. “I’m nobody.”
Another monastic type, also meditating, says, “I’m nobody. I’m nobody.”
The janitor hearing them, goes over and kneels in front of the alter, chanting, “I’m nobody. I’m nobody.”
The teacher leans over to the monk and whispers:
“Look who thinks he’s nobody.”
A story on enlightenment, followed by a story told by Frances Lee Menlove on gratitude:
“How long will it take to be enlightened?”
“Ten years.”
“What if I really try hard, how long will it take?”
“Twenty years.”
Devotional
Gratitude: A Contagious Choice
by Frances Lee Menlove
I recently visited a Buddhist monastery in Korea. The monk who greets us suggested we open our minds and let the winds waft through them as we proceeded up the stairs to the ancient temple. Open your mind as I tell you a story; listen deeply, and let this ancient tale have its way with you.
There were two Buddhist monks, one somber and one joyful, living miles apart. The first monk prayer all day long in deep motionless silence. The second monk would sing and dance his praises to God near a huge tree in the monastery garden.
One day, an angel appeared to the first monk and said, “I have come from God. You have been given permission to ask God one question. What is your question?” The somber monk looked up and asked, “How many more lives must I live before I attain self-realization?”
The angel left him and reappeared miles away to the second monk, who was singing and dancing before God. The angel said, “I have come from God. You have been given permission to ask God one question. What is your question?” “Without hesitation, the joyful monk, asked, “How many more lives must I live before I attain self-realization?” And with that, the angel disappeared.
One week later, the angel returned to the somber monk and said, “I have the answer you seek. You must live three more lives before you attain self-realization.” Hearing this, the first monk fell dejectedly into heavy sobbing, “Three more lives, three more lives. Oh, no,” he cried, “three more lives.”
The angel left and appeared to the dancing monk. “I have your answer,” the angel said, “Do you see that tree around which you have been dancing and singing your praises to God?”
“Yes,” replied the joyful monk.
“You must live as many more lives as there are leaves on that tree before you will attain self-realization,” the angel said.
The monk looked up at the tree and said, “Why, there must be ten thousand leaves on that tree. Only ten thousand lives? Only ten thousand more lives, and I will attain self-realization!” And the monk began to sing and dance joyfully before God.
Suddenly a deep voice thundered from heaven, “My child, this day you have attained self-realization.”
This story depicts gratitude as almost a state of being. The joyful monk is an example of President Hinckley’s assertion that gratitude is the essence of worship. Being grateful for the shining moon, the orange on the counter, and the open book on the table. Grateful when the right word comes to mind, when a name is remembered—and a sense of humor when it doesn’t. Grateful for the laughter of the kids running around the front yard. Grateful for the astounding space photographs taken by the Hubble telescope. Grateful for the gift of life.
**********************************************
**********************************************
After reading this, my brother DeLoy, the poet, wrote:
Tale of Two Monks
One Buddhist monk
Was most grateful;
He had great spunk.
The other monk
Somber, fearful;
His life kerplunk.
No comments:
Post a Comment