Sunday, June 26, 2011

Recurring Daydream

I have this recurring daydream
It’s a silly one;
Not at all like me
I don’t know why it keeps coming up;
Disquieting me.
So visually acute;
I cannot ignore it.
It’s the reunion at Lucy’s—
The one she has called everyone about
Except me.
She told Shirley I ignored her when
She suggested we have the reunion at
Her house.
I thought she was joking.
Where would we sleep?
She says we could sleep on her porch
If it doesn’t rain.
How can she insure it won’t rain
After a spring like we’ve had?
And on what would we sleep?
We’re not Boy Scouts.
The youngest is 65.
I sent an email canceling my reunion suggestion
reminding everyone that
Lucy and Jerry are in charge
since they didn’t come last time.
Oh yes, and they have to please everyone.
Definitely.
I haven’t heard from Lucy since I sent the email
But I know she’s making plans.
If I’m invited, this is where my dream starts:

I arrive last.  Everyone else is there
Watching from the doorway as I
Drive up in my Rolls Royce or BMW
Or some other impressive vehicle like
In Sunset Boulevard;
Except I had this dream many times
Before I saw Sunset Boulevard at PTC.
My driver stops
And I get out of the backseat
Standing tall, regal, sophisticated, attractive,
Beautifully attired and coiffured;
Maybe a few wrinkles—
I’m 74, remember?
There they stand
All my siblings
Stooped over with canes, walkers,
Wheelchairs, hearing aids, bifocals,
Welcoming and admiring me with snorting noises.

June 16, 2011
Lucy sponsored the reunion in her new home.
Lovely.
Preparing a delicious meal.
Unfortunately, none of our brothers were able to come.
Of the sisters,
The two older ones looked older than me;
While the two younger ones looked younger;
Just as it’s been
From childhood on.

So much for daydreams.
Shirley, holding Carol Lee, Jeanette, Lucy.  Year 1942
Front: Verla, Mama, Carol Lee; Back: Jeanette, Shirley, Lucy. Year 1960

fr
Front: Shirley, Lucy, Carol. Back: Jeanette, Verla. Year 2011

1 comment:

Charmaine Anderson said...

I loved seeing the age transition. You are all still beautiful!