My visiting teachers wanted to know what the pretty plants were growing in my triangle flower garden by the front porch.
I have no idea. They just sprang up.
Writing to my grandson Jonathan, I kept him apprised with a copy to his dad:
Something grew about 4’ high in our front flower bed. I think it’s scary. It’s invasive. Pretty soon it will take over the whole yard, then the whole neighborhood, then the whole town – well, you get the picture. Bring your machetes and weapons of mass destruction when you come so you can help fight on the side of right.
*
You know those weeds I told you were 4' high in the front. They are more like 9' tall. They are almost to the roof. I'll take a picture and send you so you'll believe me. Maybe next letter.
*
I am including a photo of the tall weeds in front of our porch. Pictures in emails sometimes mutate. Have you noticed that? So who knows what you'll get.
| Weeds growing in flower bed. |
| Ed riding trike in front of weeds growing in flower bed. |
And they stink.
You know, the noxious weeds growing by our front porch. I thought they were OK until I smelled them. I wonder what kind of excavation machinery I will need to get them out of there.
Jonathan’s dad, Brent, answers right back:
You could use it to poison Socrates--or really, anyone you like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Socrates --B
Water Hemlock
Scientific Name: Cicuta douglasii
Common Name: Water hemlock
Type: Native
Toxicity: Poisonous
Berries/Fruits: Oval seed pods
Flowers: Flowers appear in late spring and early summer and are small, white, and grouped in umbrella shaped clusters at the ends of branches.
Description: Grows along streamside, irrigation canals, and in moist pastures; seldom grows above 8500 feet in elevation. Grows 3 to 7 feet tall. Thick rootstocks have cross partitions at the base. Roots have separate chambers inside, and a musky odor. Leaves are lance-shaped, with toothed edges. Leaf veins run to the notches between the toothed edges. This plant is similar in appearance to Poison Hemlock, but there is little or no purple blotching on the stem. Poisonous parts: all parts, especially the roots and lower stems.
Trial of Socrates
The Trial of Socrates refers to the trial and the subsequent execution of the classical Athenian philosopher Socrates in 399 BC. Socrates was trailed on the basis of two notoriously ambiguous charges: corrupting the youth and impiety (in Greek, asebeia). More specifically, Socrates’ accusers cited two "impious" acts: "failing to acknowledge the gods that the city acknowledges" and "introducing new deities." A majority of the 501 dikasts (Athenian citizens chosen by lot to serve as jurors) voted to convict him. Consistent with common practice, the dikasts determined Socrates’ punishment with another vote. Socrates was ultimately sentenced to death by drinking a hemlock-based liquid. Primary sources for accounts of the trial are given by two of Socrates’ students, Plato and Xenophon; well known later interpretations include those of the journalist I.F.Stone and the classics scholar Robin Waterfield. The trial is one of the most famous of all time.
This is getting exciting!
Postscript: Now I know hemlock and poison oak (that’s another story. I gathered it to decorate the tables for Brent and Jan’s Wedding Picnic). What else do I need to know?
On 6/9/2011 8:11 PM, Jonathan Hugh wrote: I don't know.
>Maybe I should learn to identify poison mushrooms. I seem to have a propensity for poisonous plants. Grandma
From Brent: Remember that famous 'fern forest' down at the other property where we used to play for hours, build trails and huts, and so on?
Hemlock. Yup, every bit of it.
Remember the crazy rashes and stuff that people got from playing in it? No wonder . . .
I realized this a few years ago when someone was showing us hemlock and I'm like, "WAIT! I recognize that!"
Yes, from spending hours tromping in it, through it, and on it, rolling around on it, and so on.
At least we had the sense not to EAT it! That's about the only thing we didn't do . . .
"As little as 8 ounces of water hemlock may be lethal to cattle or horses." Water hemlock is a little different than poison hemlock, which is what I think you have. Water hemlock is actually more poisonous.
Water hemlock: "This plant is considered to be one of the most toxic plants in the United States since so little of it needs to be consumed to cause death. Humans have been killed after only one or two bites of what they thought were "parsnips" (water hemlock root resembles a parsnip). Cattle are the primary species affected, hence the name "cowbane". Animals have been poisoned by drinking water that had been contaminated with trampled water hemlock roots." http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/plants/ppwater.htm
Poison hemlock: "The clinical course is rapid, and animals may be found dead or die within a few hours. Initial consumption may cause a burning sensation in the mouth, salivation, emesis and diarrhea. Rapidly developing neurologic signs include muscle tremors, muscular weakness, dim vision, convulsions and coma. Death results from respiratory failure. Frequent urination and defecation may also occur."
DeRay dug them out last night and I stuffed them in the garbage can. I now can testify the roots look like parsnips. Where was I when you were playing in hemlock?
2 comments:
I can't believe how tall they are!!!
I will be careful if you serve me a drink.
Post a Comment