Saturday, November 19, 2011

Relaxed and Fantastic

Mom,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Since we can’t spoil you in person, we thought we would send you to a professional. 
We hope they pamper you and make you feel relaxed and fantastic.
We love you!
Brent, Jan, Jonathan, Naomi and Amanda

A Groupon for a 60-Minute Massage 

No, I’ve never had a professional massage in my life.
I’m a little apprehensive.
Maybe next week.
Over a month later, I make an appointment.
The phone voice was nice.
I’m already feeling pampered.
Using GPS I find the Red Orchid Spa
Arriving right on time.
“I have a Groupon,” I say as I hand it to her.
“So we need to make you an appointment.”
“No, I came for my appointment.”
“We don’t have you in the computer.”
She saw my name in her notebook
And even remembered the call
But she didn’t put it in the computer
No therapist was there.
So I go home, honestly a bit relieved.
All told, it took an hour.
She added hot towels and rocks
For the inconvenience.
I bravely make another appointment for Friday.
Those sensual satin curtains and eerie cubicles
Intimidate me so this time DeRay goes with me.
As we drive over,
I have a sense of dread,
Like it's a doctor’s appointment.
“Leave your clothes in the locker
Put on this robe and slippers
And then come in and fill our some papers.”
Health record.
Disclaimers.
Signature.
This is an MRI in disguise.
“I’m sorry,” the gentle voice said
when I tell her it feels like
I'm coming in for X-rays,
“This will be so lovely,
you won’t want to leave.”
And she was right!
It was virtually:
Heaven vs. Hell
Soft Music vs. Jackhammer Tremor
Soothing Rub vs. Claustrophobic Terror
Warm Rocks and Towels vs. Isolation
Twilight Bliss vs. Nightmare
I do not care if the temperature is dropping
And a storm is raging outside.
For almost two hours,
perfect calm; soothing tranquility;
No cares; no worries.
Let it all pass by
Right here
Right now
This moment in time.
THANK YOU
What a great gift
For a tired old mom.

2 comments:

Charmaine Anderson said...

I was with you every minute.

Melissa said...

Here's hoping your massage is a excellent adventure....