This is what it looked like the morning we left for Bryce Canyon.
Ice Chest ready to fill.
Being around zero degrees all the time we were there,
we thought we should have brought
a different hat, scarf, coat and gloves
for each day to glamorize our pictures.
We pretty much looked like Muslims the whole week.
This is the 4th winter in a row we've come to Bryce.
You'd think we'd seen it all.
Yet each year we are re-enthralled.
The air, the wind, the sky and snow change.
The landscape, solid and unmovable.
Full Moon on Friday night at Sunset Point.
| OK, so it isn't a license plate. It's cute. |
Ha! There was one other Utah car at Bryce. OH wait! That's Amy's.
Amy couldn't figure out why her car was so dirty
and all the California cars were so clean.
Hint: They didn't travel down through the state in a snow storm.
"So many pull-outs and viewpoints," Amy says.
"Very Ed- and Dad-friendly."
"Except for getting in and out of the car!"
I'm pretty sure we are the only English speaking people in the Park.
I came to the conclusion that if you have a desire to go to the Orient,
just go to Bryce.
It's much closer and the faces and language would be the same.
They get off the bus,
jibber, jibber, jibber,
take a picture
and climb back on.
I said to one gentlemen, who wasn't Asian,
when the wind was howling
out on a point on a very narrow trail,
"We're brave souls coming out in this wind."
He stares at me
and I realize he doesn't speak English.
Finally, he utters carefully,
"Very beautiful."
To be truthful, we were never cold because we were dressed warmly.
We saw tourists in designer down jackets that probably cost $500,
then they would be in tennis shoes; freezing.
The jacket Amy has on cost $20 at Recreation Outlet.
My boots that I wore all week cost $4 at DI.
I have some $100 boots but they make blisters.
Our hats were $7.99 at Recreation Outlet.
I wore an old Gap wool sweater to layer
with moth holes that cost $10 on sale 30 years ago.
Point is, you don't have to spend a lot to keep warm
but you can't wear Levi's and sneakers
I love the diverse trees at Bryce
as much as I love the hoodoos.
The gnarly old Cedar trees have so much character.
Bristlecone Pines fascinate me no end.
They are both brave and ancient.
![]() |
Amy prepared all of our food ahead of time
and froze it in individual containers;
(we have a fridge and microwave in the unit)
but for her birthday, we wanted to eat out.
"Even if we just get French fries and a piece of cake," she decided.
She doesn't like the only restaurant
that is open at Ruby's Inn this time of year.
We were pleasantly surprised when we found
something on the menu we each loved.
She had a BBQ pulled pork sandwich with tons of French fries.
I had a delicious dried tomato/basil wrap
filled with turkey salad.
"I'm proud of you for ordering French fries
instead of coleslaw," she grinned.
(That's why I look like the statue of Queen Victoria
instead of Twiggy.)
(That's why I look like the statue of Queen Victoria
instead of Twiggy.)
The waiter brought our check.
"We wanted to order dessert, it's her birthday," I exclaim.
He went to pick up the check to adjust it,
then put it back.
"It's on the house for her birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" he beamed.
Small thing.
We both ate until we were stuffed;
asked for a box
and took the rest home to put it in our freezer
(the car).
(the car).
| It is softly snowing. It is sunset. It is Amy's Birthday. It is astoundingly beautiful. |
Hiking down to Queen's Garden
Looking up instead of down
at the Hoodoos.
We are encircled by hoodoos.
We are one with the hoodoo family.
Hoodoos don't seem to mind
that it's -2 degrees F.
We are encircled by hoodoos.
We are one with the hoodoo family.
Hoodoos don't seem to mind
that it's -2 degrees F.
Named for a statue of Queen Victoria in England.
I
grew up not 50 miles from Bryce;
yet this is my first time
to hike to Queen's Garden.
Why did I wait so long?
I wrote "76"
in the snow along the
trail.
My talisman.
From the other side, she's riding the camel frontwards.
In her spare time, Amy put puzzles together.
I didn't help.
We did swim and Jacuzzi each day.
We watched some delightful movies
like Princess Diaries I and II
and The Lion King,
that I have never seen before
like Princess Diaries I and II
and The Lion King,
that I have never seen before
and we had DeRay's I-Pad.
Who could ask for anything more?
Bryce Canyon Adventure 2012










7 comments:
I caught up on all of your Blogs tonight. Very nice. The only question that I have in on your Bryce one. What is that white stuff?
Fabulous. One of these years, I'll have to come with you (minus the kids)
Jan, Tell Uncle DeLoy what white stuff is. He's from Santa Barbara! I think you should all come. Miles of groomed cross-country ski trails. But if you want to have a real vacation, just the three of us is perfect!
I enjoyed your beautiful pictures. And I admire your "go do it" life.
ones of these days, I'll accept your wonderful invitation and go with you!!! It looks amazing!
I liked the new video, but next time have Amy turn right then left around so I can unwind and not be so dizzy. I like the slow revolution best, but the fast was good for overview.
Post a Comment