Sunday, January 6, 2013

Where's Santa When We Need Him?


I don’t remember a Christmas season
when we were more richly blessed with
high-quality, enriching entertainment.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Our cultural enlightenment actually began
in October when we went to
Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical presentation
“Phantom of the Opera”.
Granddaughter Brigitte was in the orchestra
or we might have missed it.
Amy saw the musical in Los Angeles
with Michael Crawford when
she was in high school.
She wasn’t a bit impressed
and wouldn’t go with us when we went
in Vegas last April.
We were astounded at the production
presented by Davis High School.
Amy wanted to go a second time
and we loved it even more.
Brigitte had a couple of solos on her cello
that were divine.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Pioneer Memorial Theater presented
A Christmas Carol, a musical
with music by Alan Menken,
lyrics by Lynn Ahrens,
based on Charles Dickens’ famous 1843 novel.
It touched my heart more this time than ever before.
I went twice.  (Read my blog.)
With “Rush” passes, you can go as many times as you like.

LINCOLN
We rarely go to movies
but we have wanted to see “Lincoln”.
It was suspenseful and absorbing
even though you know the outcome.
Superb acting.
I feel sorry for the wives of great men.
Spiteful – troubled – jealous.
Husbands of great women seem to fair better:
(At least in the movies.)
For example, 
Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria,
whose nine children married into
royal and noble families
across the continent,
earning them the nickname
“The Grandparents of Europe.”
Margaret Thatcher’s kind husband, Denis Thatcher,
a successful and wealthy divorced businessman.
She was the longest serving
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom,
and the only woman ever to hold the post.
She was nicknamed the “Iron Lady” because of her
uncompromising politics and leadership style.
After the movie,
we watched the light show at Farmington Station Park
eating the popcorn we forgot to eat during
the movie because it was so compelling;
and staying warm by the vast outdoor fireplace.
Magical.

KAYSVILLE LITERARY ART GUILD CHRISTMAS PARTY
Two brothers who play multiple string instruments,
a base guitarist and a singer
who claims the only instrument she plays is
Jingling the bells
presented a delightful Christmasey show.
Dr. Snell went up afterwards to get even with
those lawyers for telling malicious doctor jokes.

TABERNACLE CHOIR CHRISTMAS BROADCAST
Amy and I left at 7:30 AM Sunday morning
to go to the Conference Center
for the Tabernacle Choir Christmas program
with special guests Alfie Boe, an amazing tenor,
and Tom Brokaw, an award-wining NBC news broadcaster.
Touching.  Beautiful.
After the broadcast,
they did a short concert
then they introduced all their wives.
Alfie Boe is British but he says his wife
is a Salt Lake City girl so she brought him home.
He played Jean Valjean in Les Misérables
and his Bring him Home
was achingly beautiful; mesmerizing.
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing was so powerful
tears came to my eyes.
Tom Brokaw, known for celebrating
America’s “Greatest Generation”,
told the story
Christmas From Heaven:
A Gift that Changed the World”
about the "Candy Bomber"
Col. Gail "Hal" Halvorsen.
The Salt Lake City man spearheaded
an operation that dropped
23 tons of candy
during the Berlin airlift of 1948-49.
We sat rapt as the tale unfolded
amid eye-popping special effects,
then Halvorsen, an energetic man of 92,
took the stage.
For the guests, the choir sang A cappela
God Be With You Till We Meet Again.”
Meredith Brokaw, of course,
didn’t know she was doing it,
but she bravely wore pants
on Mormon Wear-Pants-to-Church Sunday.
Her birthday is on Christmas
and she told her husband
she always thought
when they sang the Hallelujah Chorus
it was just for her;
so today the Tabernacle Choir
sang the Hallelujah Chorus just for her.
They had her and Tom stand directly
in front of them while they sang.
They have been married 50 years.
Alfie Boe’s wife and Gail Halvorsen’s wife
both wore proper Sunday attire.

BROOKE’S TWO CONCERTS
Brooke has joined a professional singing group
“The Salt Lake Choral Artists 
directed by Dr. Brady Allred.
Our next door neighbor, Dr. Jane Fjeldsted,
who conducts the Women’s Choir,
introduced he and his wife to Eddy
in front of the Assembly Hall on Temple Square
after the concert there.
Eddy wasn’t impressed but we were.
An x-choir director from North Carolina
came up to Brooke afterwards,
telling him what an excellent concert
they performed.
He says he follows Dr. Allred
and catches his concerts whenever he can.
He actually came to Salt Lake
for the Tabernacle Choir Christmas program.
“You travel this far for that?”
“I come every year.
I’d travel a lot further than this to attend.”
“How do you get tickets?”
“When Craig Jessop was here,
he’d send me tickets.
Forth row seats every year.
Since he’s gone,
I have to take my chances
with the lottery like everyone else.
I was lucky enough to get Sunday morning seats
but I still wanted to see a regular performance
so I stood in line Saturday night and got a seat.”
Amy and I got tickets because
I entered my name on Facebook and won.
I’ve never been chosen on the lottery.
The last time we went, years ago, Melissa got 10 tickets.
Free tickets are in high demand.
Another time I went to the
Sunday Morning Christmas broadcast with Brooke
and his family when someone gave him tickets.
After Brooke’s amazing concert in the Assembly Hall,
I wrote:
Brooke puts his whole heart and soul into it.
I still can’t believe our kids can sing.
Play instruments, yes;
sing, it doesn’t seem like one of ours.
Brooke was standing on the end in the Assembly Hall
and as I watched him sing,
it reminded me of the dream I had years ago.
The only dream I’ve had where I have seen Daddy vividly.
He was on the last row on the end in the Tabernacle Choir.
It seemed strange to me at the time
because Daddy never went to Salt Lake City.
Additionally, Esplins can’t sing.
Everybody in town knows that.
Tonight seeing Brooke in such a fine choir
was a little like that dream came true.
It was his grandson
instead of him
but he was up there
singing magnificently.
I think Brooke must resemble Daddy
in more ways than I have realized.
Déjà vu.
This is actually the second time
Brooke has honored Daddy.
March 21, 1997
As it happened,
Brooke was scheduled to play
with the Utah Symphony in Abravanel Hall
on Daddy’s birthday.
It seems a long ways
from the sheepherd to symphony hall;
yet I think Brooke
would be perfectly happy at the sheepherd
and I think Daddy enjoyed good music.
By coincidence,
it appeared the concert itself was in Daddy’s honor.
They played The Cowboys Overture;
the Suite from The Big Country,
and On the Trail from the Grand Canyon Suite.
Brooke second concert this season was in Gardner Hall.
"O Yule Full of Gladness"
Christmas Around the World
$20 tickets.  Professional, remember.
Amy thinks they are better
than the Tabernacle Choir because they are younger
and their voices don’t warble.
Thanks for bringing that up, Amy.
Every number was succor for the soul.
Penetrating.  Rich and full.
Sometimes fun.
Afterwards we enjoyed a delicious dinner
at our favorite Café Chang.
Even Ed ate everything without complaint.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year.
***********
Then we wondered
why there were no presents
under the tree
when we woke up on Christmas morning.
Not one of us stepped foot in a mall to shop
the whole season –
or more accurately,
the whole year.
*********
Wait!  There’s more.
We still have Amy’s birthday.
December 30.

DONNIE & MARIE
Amy’s only birthday present
(until Suzanne dropped by with a $20
Gift certificate to Osaka Sushi)
was a ticket to the Donnie & Marie show.
“They are icons of our time,” she said
in wanting to see them in Salt Lake City.
She had no interest in seeing them in Vegas.
It started snowing the day before Christmas
snowing intermittently
all Christmas day.
The day of the concert
the snow fell steadily the live-long day.
The roads were slick.
The snowplow hadn’t even been in our circle
or down Raymond Road, for that matter.
Heroic DeRay said he would drive us down,
As he was still trying to get the snowblower going
when it was time for us to leave,
Amy bravely headed out.
We parked in time to walk
through enchanting Temple Square
and the charming City Creek Center.
Perfect.
After hearing Alfie Boe with his rich tenor voice sing
“Bring Him Home”
I thought Donny & Marie were lacking in breath and depth,
until I caught the spirit of their energetic showmanship.
I didn’t go to sleep or even come close.
It was highly entertaining from start to finish – all hours.
And I’ll bet even Alfie Boe couldn’t dance in
dangerously high heels like Marie did all evening.
Amy said she was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
She went to see an icon couple and got an astounding show.
Yes, it was still snowing when we came out.
Courageously, Amy navigated us safely home.

And the next morning, while it was still snowing,
we left for Bryce.
But that’s another Blog.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a adventurous December!!

JJ said...

Melissa, You should join Jane's choir. She's an amazing conductor.

Melissa said...

let's find out if I can sing first...

If I join, you join...

Brigitte Hugh said...

That's an adventurous bargain . . .

Oh grandma what a wonderful Christmas!