It’s a
little bizarre
like your
mind is playing tricks on you
or time has
ceased to be;
watching
your grandchildren performing in concert
when it
seems only yesterday
your own
children were on stage.
The
conductor, Rod Wayman, of the Davis
Youth Symphony,
was a bandmate of Brent’s
both at Davis High School and The Lagoon Show Band.
He and Jan were in the Ute Marching Band together
and even dated a time or two.
both at Davis High School and The Lagoon Show Band.
He and Jan were in the Ute Marching Band together
and even dated a time or two.
My heart
strings were already being tugged,
then they
rolled in a grand piano,
under Brigitte's apt supervision,
under Brigitte's apt supervision,
and the
soloist and orchestra played
Grieg’s Piano concerto in A minor.
Grieg’s Piano concerto in A minor.
“Sound
familiar?” Ed whispered.
May 17, 1981 – Today Brent
played Grieg’s Piano Concerto in A-Minor at Davis High Vesper Services,
accompanied by a second piano.
Beautiful.
May 21, 1981 – Davis High
Symphonic Band Concert at Weber State College.
Brent played the same piece with the symphonic band as
accompaniment. Standing ovation. Magnificent.
Guests present: Grandma and Grandpa Pugh, Nellie Gai, Cindy, J. Lynn,
Tena, Verla, Bryan, Devin, Dad, Mom, Jeanne, Brooke, Eddy, and Amy Lyn. Sherrill Dorius, Ed and Roni Beck, Chris and
LaRene Christensen, Val and Brian; Sylvia and Raymond Hadfield. Buffet Dinner held before at home. Above present plus Dick and Sharon Swapp and
Sherrill; Myrna and Everett Watts; Ardis and Val Alder and Mary Ann; Kathy and
Ron Taylor, Carol and Mel Ward and Brian.
A very special evening. A
TALENTED SON!
It started with a crashing
introduction on the piano, then gracefully the exposition began, and I knew I
was in for an intense experience. His
precise fingering imprinted a message into the very fibers of my being and my
entire soul moved along with the notes into a whole new sphere. As the concerto continued, the piano pierced
my heart, feeding it life-blood and pumping it to an as yet undiscovered
dimension. Then softly, tenderly he
played, carefully gaining momentum to a consuming crescendo; still the music
moved me until I felt suspended. I knew
that nerve-endings were touched that hadn’t been disturbed in a lifetime. As the first theme was repeated, my spirit
anew would be enthralled with its power and majesty. Suddenly the tempo quickened and I felt a new
sensation before he deliberately stalled each note just long enough to soar my
soul to new heights.
When the French horn had a brief solo,
I thought of Brooke, a Presidential Scholar,
when he soloed with the University of Utah Symphony Orchestra.
When the French horn had a brief solo,
I thought of Brooke, a Presidential Scholar,
when he soloed with the University of Utah Symphony Orchestra.
DECEMBER 3, 1994 – THE DAY BROOKE SOLOS WITH THE UNIVERSITY OF
UTAH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA!!! Concerto
for Horn and Orchestra by Reinhold Gliere.
The hall was packed; overflowing; standing room only. Amy Jayne Hart, Verla, Bryan, Devin and Dawn;
Alice and Rell Thompson, Ardis and Val Alder.
Ronnie and Eddy Beck, who had not received an invitation but Brooke
called them and they came on the spur of the moment which is very
uncharacteristic for them—it’s sort of like they’ll do anything for
Brooke. The Fitzgeralds and Doug
Thompson; (all came to dinner before); Carol and Melissa were at the
concert. Hordes of Brooke's friends came
and it was an exciting and rewarding evening.
He played magnificently; it was a great thrill. Thank you Brooke for this greatest of all
gifts—a gift to nurture the soul and enrich our beings. We took great pictures afterward with no film
in the camera but Cai got it all on video.
Eddy and DeRay wore their
tuxes also and they looked so handsome.
Eddy said the best part was when Brooke played alone. “It
reminded me of the Mozart pieces,” he said.
He is such a connoisseur—sometimes it is a gift enough to appreciate the
gifts of others. Amy also is very astute
and supportive. I sometimes think she
has the best ear for music of anyone in our family. I hope she is not missing her calling by not
pursuing it.
I'm still elated every time
I listen to the recordings
of Brooke or Brent in performance.
And I’m thrilled to see
our granddaughter, Brigitte, poised and talented,
making amazing music to enrich the soul.
I'm still elated every time
I listen to the recordings
of Brooke or Brent in performance.
And I’m thrilled to see
our granddaughter, Brigitte, poised and talented,
making amazing music to enrich the soul.








No comments:
Post a Comment