Thursday, May 2, 2013

Married 57 Years


DeRay and I make a perfect team:
He makes the messes and I clean them up.
Again I have a carpeted deck.
        I couldn’t face it last night.
Hearing the wet vac screeching in the basement
       as I came down the stairs,          
I went straight back up.
      Amy didn’t let me off that easily.
She came up to report:
       “It’s bad.”
DeRay was making water;
       standing right in front of the mechanism,
then just walked off without turning it off.
       By the time Amy discovered it,
the hallway, bathroom, fruitroom and bedroom
       were flooded royally.
DeRay was hosting a Sunday School meeting,
       (which he forgot about until they came.)
***EMERGENCY***
       If Amy hadn’t been here,
oh wow, we wouldn’t have noticed until morning.
       That would have been on a scale
comparable to our numerous other floods.
       Next morning, after I carried the carpet squares
out on the deck to dry, I look out:
       “DeRay!!! The sprinklers are running.
My clothes and carpets are getting soaked.”
       “Didn’t I turn it off after I watered my plants?"
"What was my name again?”

At least he didn’t leave his expensive
       Shape-up shoes at the gym;
Leave his purse on top of the car
       and drive off;
Or leave his precious camera
       on a bench at Rainbow Bridge.
Like I say:
       WE’RE A TEAM!!!!

While I’m snapping pictures,
I want to show off my new clothes pin bag.
 K’Leena made the last one.
I sent some shirts down for her to choose one
to cut up to make a bag.
The material was stretchy and
with the weight of the clothes pins
it eventually almost reached the ground.
Contorting around to reach deep
to get a clothes pin was about more than I could bear.
I made this one from a pillow case.
I use my machine so seldom,
I had to use the instruction book
to thread the bobbin and needle
and even turn it on.

1 comment:

Charmaine Anderson said...

Oh me! Nice to hear from you even if it is an emergency! Are you laughing yet? I like you clothes pin bag. I am hanging out clothes here. I have a rare dryer but it doesn't get hot enough to dry anything in a reasonable time so I fluff things up a little and hang them out. I forgot how good things smell fresh from outside...but I am not going to do it when I get home. You are a trooper