Sunday, December 8, 2013

Never Die


In the back of my mind,
I harbored this little fear
as I heeded the call to clean,
that when I finished, I would die.
You know the tales.
“She cleaned all her kitchen cupboards
And that night she died in her sleep.”
When I mentioned this about my cousin’s wife,
Phoebe, her life-long friend scowled,
“Pshaw, she was having literary club,
That’s why she cleaned her kitchen cupboards.”
What?  She had no premonition?
Don’t blame me,
I heard it from a reliable source.
Still, as I neared the end of my cleaning quest,
it loomed larger and larger in my thoughts
. . . .until I opened up a sloppy closet
and a few drawers that somehow got messy,
then it dawned on me
that if I wait to die
until I get everything in order,
I will never die.
E-ow-ee.

1 comment:

Jan H said...

The cleaning is never done.