Friday, March 7, 2014

Thank Heavens


Thank heavens for Nurse Amy.
She was home less than one-half hour
when I accidentally tip over a 24-oz glass
of boiling water onto my lap.
I tear off my clothes;
She grabs wet towels.
I bawl.
“How can I be so stupid?”
I climb in a tub of cold water
until I am shivering.
“You can die from hypothermia and shock;
You won’t die from  burns on your skin.”
She had four heating pads, an oversized heated rice bag 
someone gave her for Christmas, wool blankets on my bed;
a sweat shirt ready, a warm hat;
and asked if I wanted mittens.
Ice packs and aloe vera on the burns on my thighs.
A cup of hot water to warm me up
and an  Acetaminophen.
“Doesn’t look too bad.”
Bright red doesn’t look too bad?
No blisters.
Does it blister this soon?
Yes, if it’s going to.
(As it turned out,
there are blisters on one thigh.)
She visits with me until I settle down
and feel cozy and safe.
“I’m going to go change into dry clothes.”
DeRay had taken Ed to the Clark Planetarium.
I had big house-cleaning plans to fill the entire day.
I do my best cleaning when I'm home alone;
which is next to never.
Amy usually isn’t home on Friday during the day.
Today is Parent-teacher conferences.
No kids in school.
Thankfully -
because rocks were in the sewer lines;
thus no water and no bathrooms.
After her last scheduled conference,
she told Michelle she was going home.
“Contract hours,” Michelle teased.
“I’m hungry, I’m thirsty, and I need to go to the bathroom.”
Michelle suggested that she could go to McDonald’s.
“I’m going home.”
Thank Heavens.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Ow, burns are the worst. I am glad Amy was soon there and was able to help you. Take care. I will
call. :) Carol

desplingca said...

OUCH! That hurts just to read about it. You WERE fortunate to have nurse Amy home at that moment. How are you doing now? Worsening or mending?

JJ said...

Mending. The part that hurts the most is we can't go swimming. We miss our swims!!!!

Brent Hugh said...

Eeeek! Burns, no good!

Also, you forgot to report them to us so we could worry more efficiently!