I called Sylvia
My 93-year-old friend
around 5 PM.
Someone picked up the phone
but I could hear nothing.
For the next four hours
each time I try to call
her line is busy.
Finally around 9 PM
I could stand it no longer
and coaxed DeRay to ride
down with me to check on her.
He’s worn out.
He took Aunt Olive to visit Uncle Grant’s
grave on his birthday.
Sylvia probably just left the phone off
the hook
but I have to know.
“If her light is on,
we’ll know she’s OK,”
DeRay reasoned on the way down.
The light is on. Good.
But we’re here, we may as well know for
sure.
Ring.
Ring. Ring.
Pound on the door.
Stillness.
I go next door.
I know who he is because I hear Sylvia
talk
about him all the time.
He doesn’t know me from Eve.
He suggests I pound on the window.
I pound.
Stillness.
I pound on the door again.
I walk back to the car.
“The porch light came on,” DeRay observed,
“maybe its action activated.”
“If its action activated,
it would have come on the first time.”
I walk back, pound again
and the door opens.
“You scared me.”
“YOU SCARED ME,” I retaliate.
We turn her phone off,
thankful that’s all it was.
“Would you put drops in my eyes?”
She couldn’t even open the drops,
let alone put them in her eyes.
What was the doctor thinking?
She has been weak and sick
for over a month now;
hasn’t been able to go to church,
even while she is Gospel Doctrine class
president,
who has the arduous responsibility
of assigning the prayers and telling the jokes.
who has the arduous responsibility
of assigning the prayers and telling the jokes.
I wish she weren’t alone in that big house.
No comments:
Post a Comment