Thursday, March 27, 2014

Incompatibility


It’s evident to me
that hearing aids and diamond rings
are not compatible with my lifestyle.
The audiologist recommended that I wear my hearing aids
at least eight hours a day even if I’m  not talking to anyone.
“You need to train your brain to listen on that side.”
Fifteen years now I have been deaf in my right ear.
I’ve grown accustomed to turning my head .
The device in my right ear is designed to transmit sound
from the right side to my left hearing ear.
An interesting side note:
I complained to him that when someone sitting beside me in church
whispers in my ear, I can’t even tell she is talking.
“A whisper is perceived by the transmitter to be  the wind
and it actually blocks it out.  The sound has to be audible.”
Since visiting him, I have tried to wear them more
to train my brain
but how much time is left in a day
after I swim, shower, listen to my iPod with ear buds while triking
and spray my hair?  Or go for a walk in the rain or snow?
I wanted to start wearing my diamond ring again.
Well, it’s not my real diamond.  It’s a fake.  Moissanite.
Even after I found my real diamond, we didn’t pay to have it set.
I can’t tell the difference.
It took me several days to find my ring;
I put it on for church one Sunday.
Next morning I took it off to go swimming;
and never got back up to put it on again.
That was two months ago.
Hearing aids and diamond rings
simply do not seem to be conducive to my lifestyle.
Hard as I try.
What did you say?

No comments: