THE PARTY
Original decorations, preparation, set-up, clean-up, and
food
Created and designed by
Elizabeth Hugh
With relentless help from
Brooke, Brigitte, Isaak, Klarissa, and Karlton
Music by Amy
(she plugged in her iPod and speakers)
MEMORIES
, TRIBUTES, and GREETINGS
Happy
Birthday. Love, Aunt Olive
Hope
you have a great year. Keep
gardening. Aunt Mar
I
remember . . .
-
stealing lumber and nails from the houses Dad and Joe Graves were building, to
build our treehuts (much more important than houses)
-
going hunting near The Rock. We kids would
go over the top of the hill and play in the dirt, where our wiggliness and
noise wouldn't scare off the deer in the valley
-
going golfing at Hill Air Force Base
-
building the pop-up table in the Kaysville house with its counterweight and
magnet system.
-
having our dinner take a short but exciting flight once in a while when the
tabletop popped up
-
visiting (interminable) home shows and traipsing through endless (boring!)
houses to get ideas for building our house, like the conversation pit and pop-up
table/stairs entrance
-
begging for hours to be allowed to 'lay a brick' when Dad was laying all the
brick for the Kaysville house--and then Dad would of course have to re-do the
whole thing as soon as we left
-
climbing up on the scaffolding of the house after school to see how the brick
laying was coming
-
neighborhood teenagers stealing building materials and finding them stashed in
the gully somewhere
-
many houseboat cruises
-
especially the one where we drove up on the rock and ended up spending the
entire night there
-
but note well that we never did SINK the houseboat, as some people did . . .
-
going on a cruise to Mexico and spraining my ankle--luckily on the last day . .
.
-
Dad driving up to Francis Peak to pick up Mom and me, who had hiked to the
top. Then we couldn't figure out how to
get from the hiking trail up to the parking lot where Dad could drive to . . .
-
Many trips to Las Vegas to visit the doctors.
-
Flying to Las Vegas for the doctors during my mission, then everyone driving
back really quick to meet me in Salt Lake after my flight was cancelled there
due to weather.
-
Building the swimming pool at the Kaysville house, then filling it with ditch
water and going in for a swim in wetsuits when it was about 55 degrees . . .
-
Gardening
-
Frantic call for HELP!!! when my tire started disintegrating while driving to
college in Provo. Also many other
frantic HELP ME WITH MY CAR calls when various automobile troubles over the
years. Not exactly sure how we did that
before cell phones . . .
-
Dad coming along in the motor home to rescue Jan & me when the wheel fell
off our car in Marysvale. Then somehow
finding the parts in Richfield and getting it put back together by
the side of the road
-
Taking me to buy my first car, a Volkswagen Beetle, $200.
-
Then helping me take the engine off and back on again, at least five times, to
replace the leaky oil gasket.
-
Using a 2x4 to lever the engine up and down out of the engine compartment. His Dad helped us out one time as the person
in charge of stepping on the 2x4 to lift the engine up & down.
-
Many thousands of sourdough pancakes at the Pugh reunion
-
Water machines and water machine overflow filling the basement
-
Many hours of fiddling with and fixing computers for the family and others
-
Lots more, could keep typing nonstop from now until Saturday!
--Brent
Elizabeth made the Dreamcatchers just for this gala.
Happy
Birthday, Grandpa! Love you lots! Brigitte
Dear Grandpa, I remember back when we were just little when
Brigitte and I would go shopping with you.
We went a lot but the time I remember most was when you bought me the
black lock box. I used it and still use
that lock box for everything when I can find the key. I keep it hidden in my room for
safekeeping. But when I pull it out, I
think back to the time we bought it and back to all of the other fun times we
have had together. I love you, Isaak.
Then Brigitte remembered how jealous she
was of the lockbox so Grandma and Aunt Amy took her shopping for a little Cedar
Chest with a lock. Granite furniture
found one up in the attic that was left over from graduation purchases. They may have just given it to us or charged
us minimum. No one can remember but she
still has the little chest.
DeRay and his Aunt Olive and Aunt Mar with Christina and Mildred
Dear Grandpa, I
remember when we used to cook hot dogs on the stove on the back patio and then
you would start in on one of your stories while we were eating our hot
dogs. It was fun to listen to you and
eat our dinner. You have some really
interesting stories. I love my grandpa
lots and lots. Klarissa
DeRay and his favorite widows.
The DeRay I Know
One
page wouldn't be enough to make a list of things DeRay has done for us (Amy and
me).
He
wanted to keep us in the new computer emerging world. It didn't
"take" with me but for Amy it gave her a wide spectrum of computer
knowledge.
Summertime
was much more pleasant when he put in a swamp cooler.
There
were the vacations we took with the Hughs in DeRay's time-share condo in San
Diego. Then there were the trips to Washington D.C. and to Nauvoo. I was a
guest with Jeanette, DeRay, Ed and Amy Lyn when they went to the British Isles,
the home of our ancestors. We toured the entire country looking at names on
headstones. In Scotland, we especially
felt John Esplin's presence and were invited into a little stone cottage that
might have been his home.
I
thought of one particular day with DeRay that stands out in my mind. We had
never managed to repair (or solve) a leaky toilet, DeRay removed the John
taking it out on to the front lawn for all to see. He had bought a new toilet,
saying the old one used to much water.
I
had traveled with him to the appliance store.
I was amazed to see how he engaged the sales girl in a conversation
about parts. She was overwhelmed with the knowledge he had about what he was
looking for. We got all the needed parts
and supplies and came home. Then even
with all his vast knowledge of engineering and plumbing once we got home he had
to put the old toilet back in because he could not make the new toilet and
parts fit our World War II vintage
bathroom. But he made sure to take out
any rotted floor boards, and replace them with new and he also elevated the
toilet so it stood higher of the floor.
DeRay
has climbed high ladders to paint the outside of our house when none of my
sisters dare climb that high. He has put
in two different satellite dishes on our house and updated our television set.
In our fireplace in our living room, he installed a small gas heater to give us
heat if the power goes out. He has
provided rototillers to make gardening easier, lighted my kitchen, and cleaned
my carpets.
I
know I'm just one of the many people DeRay has helped through his 80
years. He truly knows what it means to
be the good Samaritan and a good Christian.--Shirley
Happy Birthday,
Dad. Here’s to 80 more. Love, Brooke
Growing a garden
and bottling the rewards. Building your
home. Adventurous. Traveler.
Kind Hearted. Never a nicer
person than DeRay. Sharing. Funny and witty. Hard working.
DeRay loves a bargain and so do I.
Friendship. He’s true blue. Smart.
An entrepreneur. Never
pretentious. Genuine. DeRay is probably one of the nicest people I
know. Such a good soul. Happy birthday 80 Years Young! Cai & Suzanne Nielsen & family
dear
granma,
i
remember grampa fell asleep when i was watching t v.
love,
love,
Naomi
Happy Birthday. I expect you to come to my 80th. See you there. Amy Jayne
I have always enjoyed DeRay’s sense of humor, like when he would tell the kids
to go out and play in the middle of the street’ etc.
I remember when we took DeLoy’s Chev to
him in Canada. We started out pulling
DeLoy’s car with DeRay’s Mercury and ended up pulling the Mercury with the
Chev., when DeRay’s car broke down. We
had a nice trip and got to visit with Rulon and Elsie in Idaho.
We appreciated Jeanette and DeRay driving
all night to Vernal to get Jayson and Todd when Tim got burned with lime in his
eyes. Tim and Lana Gale were in the
hospital in Salt Lake where Tim was having surgery on his eye. When Jeanette and DeRay got to Vernal, I put
them to bed in a bed that was not made up.
(I thought it was.) I will always
appreciate the support they gave to us at that time. I had been out of town working with the Forest
Service when Tim was hurt.
I remember the time when Jeanette and
DeRay were dating and we went to Las Vegas while he was working there. DeRay took us into a Casino to show us
around. A security guard came up to
DeRay and demanded that he show he was old enough to be there. DeRay was an army veteran and there I stood,
a 16 or 17 year old kid and he didn’t
ask for my ID. DeRay was quite put out.
The time we went camping with the Hugh
family at Soapstone out past Heber City and set up our tents and then set
around the campfire and talked until the kids got tired. We put the boys to bed in out tent. After we had talked for half of the night,
DeRay and I decided in go into the tent and check on the boys. (Brent, Jayson, Tim and Todd) When we went in the tent, there was a big fat
badger in the back of the tent eating Lana Gale’s candied popcorn. The badger was right by Tim’s head and Tim
kept reaching up and rubbing his nose. I
told DeRay the badger would rip the boys to pieces if it got on the fight. We kept the flashlight in the eyes of the
badger and backed out of the tent. The
badger followed us out of the tent and when we got out of the tent, I reached
down and picked up a rock intending to throw it at the badger to give it a good
scare. I threw the rock at the badger
and hit it in the head and killed it right in front of the tent. The next day we held a funeral for the badger
and buried it just outside of our camp.
Right after that a Forest Ranger came by and visited with us. We didn’t dare tell him about the badger because
we were afraid we had broken some law by killing the badger. If I remember right, he did mention that
there had been a badger in the campground eating the camper’s food.
I remember the time that Dale Sorenson,
DeRay and I went on our annual deer hunt during the Thanksgiving Holiday. We went up the North Fork Road over the hill
and down into the Muddy. After we got
down into the Muddy two big bucks crossed the road in front of us and
stopped. I was sitting on the window
side and DeRay in the middle. Dale was
driving. I stuck my 30-30 out of the
window and shot both of them before Dale and DeRay could get out of the
pickup. They were both a little put out
with me.
I could go on with more memories we have
shared with DeRay, but probably better stop.
I enjoy visiting and working with DeRay and have shared many good
memories with him. Jerry
MEMORIES
OF DERAY BY LANA ESPLIN
Jerry’s
deer hunting story reminded me of the time we were hunting with DeRay. We had
our three boys with us. Jerry took Todd
and Jayson with him and I had Tim with me.
With memories of a lost boy (Todd) in Flaming Gorge recently, I was
keeping a sharp eye on Tim as we walked through the bushes. Tim, who had wanted to go with his Dad and
not with me, decided to hide from me.
I
started calling “Tim, Tim,” but he didn’t answer.
The
minutes sped by and I began to get alarmed.
After a few minutes of this, from the direction of a side hill above me,
I heard
someone answer, “What?”
I
screamed my answer, “Jerry get down here right now, Tim’s lost!”
I heard Jerry noisily
moving down toward me until I could see him appear a few yards away. When I saw it was DeRay I’d been screaming
at, I started explaining about Tim being lost.
Just as I was finishing my story, out from behind a nearby bush pops
Tim, wearing a mischievous grin on his face.
(At that point, I think Tim wanted to go hunting with DeRay.)
Happy
80th Birthday DeRay!
I have so many happy memories of DeRay! I
knew from when I was little that he was very smart and very funny. He could
figure anything out and fix it if it was broken. When we would visit their
house, we would wait to see what he would say next that would make us laugh our
heads off. Marilyn and I have made lots
of trips together to visit them through the years.
With a 16.5 year difference in our ages,
we have become friends as adults. We
have many common interests, dieting (on my part, talking about it, not really
doing it), movies and TV shows, and shopping (mostly on his part). I like
ordering it on Amazon and having it delivered, he likes the hands on shopping!
A lot of my favorite memories are camping
with him and most of our siblings, and lots of cousins, for a week at Duck
Creek for our yearly Family Reunion. DeRay has kept us entertained through the
years. You have to be on your toes or you might miss some hilarious comments!
At first you might be slightly insulted, until you realize he's kidding, and he
has a heart of gold. He's a marshmallow inside with a crusty outside.
If you have a problem, he'll be the first
one to help you figure it out. He's saved me so many times with motor homes
I've rented to bring to the Reunion. There was always a generator problem or
some other issue that he would help solve. Norm Ogden was always there to help
too. I would never have had the guts to drive a motorhome up the mountain and
park it without knowing DeRay and Norm would be there to help.
DeRay and Ed have been coming to visit the
city where I live, around Ed's birthday, for quite a few years. Sometimes it's
just the two of them, sometimes the whole family. There's lots of fun memories playing pinochle
and other games whenever we are all together.
It's just fun being together, whether it's talking, watching movies, or
whatever else we can think of.
I once rode with him to Kansas City to
pick up his grandkids when their mother was confined for the summer with an
injured foot. We still didn't run out of things to talk about after 3 days of
driving! He even bought me a couple of ice cream cones - that was the bait, of
course. They each only cost a quarter!
I feel very blessed to be born in the same
family as DeRay and to have him for my BIG brother! He's been the best friend
and brother a girl could have. I'm hoping he lives to be a hundred or
more! Love, Clare
Happy
Birthday, DeRay. Thanks for all you have
done for our families. You truly know
how to serve others. Carol Lee
Happy Birthday! You made it to “80”
- thanks for being such a help to my mom
and sister. You’ve been such a good
example – kind & wise! Nellie &
Jan
DeRay:
Keep in mind, 80 is young! (She
is 93.)
Keep remembering all the wisdom you’ve accumulated.
Keep being Jeanette’s answering servant on the phone.
Keep watching for bargains for groceries—even helping poor widows not to
starve.
Keep smiling and telling tall tales.
HAPPTY BIRTHDAY to an expert vegetable grower and champion baker of
home-made bread. –Sylvia
Congratulations for reaching the Magic 80. Sorry we could not be there. Have a wonderful day. Lynn & Joyce
Blisters from yesterday's work.
Pumpkin tarts Elizabeth made special for DeRay,
because he loves her pumpkin pies made with squash!
Happy 80th DeRay! Thanks for the help, advice and memories!--Verla
Husband * Father * Grandpa * engineer * Carpenter * Gardener * Mechanic * Landlord * Stockbroker * Tax consultant * Cook * Shopper * Artist * Bus Driver * Chauffeur * Handyman * Scout Leader * Ward and Stake Clerk * Deer Hunter * World Traveler * Life time Learner * “Utah” Man * Story Teller. DeRay has been a part of my life since I was 8-years old! I’ve never known a person who is a MASTER of so many things. The amazing thing is how he has used his many skills and talents to help others. He does service quietly without any hope of recognition or compensation. Many times I have been the recipient of DeRay's acts of kindness and service. I have seen the finished products of his hard work and talents; the house he built for his family, the gardens he has grown and shared with many; the cars he has fixed and the yummy sour dough hot cakes and bread he has baked. "Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others." Booker T. Washington "To do more for the world than the world does for you, that is success." Henry Ford DeRay must be the happiest and most successful man in the world. Verla Galloway
HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY DERAY
My favorite memories of you start way back when I was just little and I
was a pest but you liked to tease me --and the more you teased the harder I
cried and fought. One of your favorite
things to do was to hold your hand on my head
I would be swinging with both
hands and a kickin with my feet and you would just laugh because nothing
connected! The more you laughed, the harder I cried & fought! Also the
madder I got. Another memory is of my favorite little yellow records -- I would
play them over and over and drive you crazy. Even when you would warn me if I
didn't stop it they would disappear and I just ignored you and sure enough soon
they were all broken. You big bully!! I
vowed that when I got married I was going to have girls first and then boys so
the girls could beat up on the boys. You probably vowed he would never have a
little brat like me!
I remember you working on cars and giving me a ride in the rumble seat
of that green model T(?) that you rebuilt.
I remember being sad when you went away to the army. And then was so
happy when you came home and drove bus. When you were dating Jeanette, I tried very
hard to be nice to impress her so that she would want to marry you.
I loved that Mercury car you sold dad for me. I remember how happy I was
when I picked it up and drove it home to Kanab. I’ve watched you thru the years
as you've built your house then maintained all those apartments. There aren't
too many things you can't do.
Through the years it has been nice to stay close as we enjoy phone
calls, house boat & condo visits, trips & family reunions.
Of course all the sourdough hotcakes, biscuits and delicious pear syrup
make it fun.
You are always willing to help fix things or figure things out with our
car our motorhome etc.
I feel very blessed to have a brother who is so close.
I love seeing how you figure out problems around your house and garden,
find great bargains on groceries and everything else, enjoy movies with us, and
did I mention visit with me on the phone?
Thanks for your unselfish service to everyone.
I love you. Karen
PS. Norm says thanks & he
loves you too!!
This has been a special birthday.
Thanks for thinking of us oldsters as your special friends. Thanks for helping us in so many ways. Love, Shirley
Happy
Birthday, DeRay. Thanks for all you have
done for our families. You truly know
how to serve others. Carol Lee
Dear
Grandpa, One time I remember you took me kayaking. We went to that 3-fingers reservoir. You read the newspaper while Amy went with
us. Happy Birthday, Grandpa! Karlton
“Elizabeth,
you should open a catering business.”
Everything is perfect, professional, classy, delightful, delicious. So much more than we ever expected.
She
shook her head, “Too much work.”
. . .to be continued
2 comments:
OK, this is looking like the party of the century...and I missed it. Dang it...
I love the shade covering you made with the 'streamers' over your back deck... way cool!!!!
Love Melissa
We missed you.
All praise and glory for the decorations, shade streamers, food, and yard work to Brooke, Elizabeth, and family. I wish I could do something that amazing.
Post a Comment