What
I really love about Utah:
New
snow in the mountains
| June 17 |
Ripening
cherries in the valley
And
Ed riding his trike.
Yesterday, no trike ride.
Eddy read the weather forecast.
Snow in the mountains;
rainy and cold (45 degrees) in the valley.
Glacier National Park has 16" of snow since yesterday.
We were at Glacier
56 years ago in June
on our way home
from delivering a car to DeLoy
in Cardston
when he was on a mission.
rainy and cold (45 degrees) in the valley.
Glacier National Park has 16" of snow since yesterday.
We were at Glacier
56 years ago in June
on our way home
from delivering a car to DeLoy
in Cardston
when he was on a mission.
Amy
left this morning to visit friends on the East coast for a month.
“Three things, Amy:
1) Keep safe;
2) Have fun; and
3) Keep in touch.
That’s all.”
She’ll probably do the first two;
and then the third one won’t matter so much.
“Three things, Amy:
1) Keep safe;
2) Have fun; and
3) Keep in touch.
That’s all.”
She’ll probably do the first two;
and then the third one won’t matter so much.
“I
told Dad you are more worried about the cats than you are me,”
I jest before she leaves.
I jest before she leaves.
“You
don’t get stranded up a tree;
locked in a shed, or caught in a closet.
You can cut your own nails, brush your own hair,
get your own food and water,
and you look both ways before crossing the street,” she prompts.
She’s spent the past week training me how
to play with the cats,
cut their nails, brush them;
and reminding me of danger zones.
locked in a shed, or caught in a closet.
You can cut your own nails, brush your own hair,
get your own food and water,
and you look both ways before crossing the street,” she prompts.
She’s spent the past week training me how
to play with the cats,
cut their nails, brush them;
and reminding me of danger zones.
As
we play games four hours after she leaves, Ed chats:
“I
miss Amy already, Mom.”
“I
don’t know if I can manage without her for four weeks.
I’m
not letting her leave town ever again.”
“Did
you have a good visit with Uncle DeLoy?" (Skype) he asks.
“We
did.”
“That’s
the best conversation I ever heard.”
When I
told Dr. S that we celebrated my husband’s 80th birthday,
he said: “You’re not as old as he is, are you?”
he said: “You’re not as old as he is, are you?”
“I’m
just a couple of years younger.”
“Oh,
I thought you were just in your early seventies.”
EARLY
SEVENTIES?
(And you know they say younger than they really think.)
I thought he would say,
at the very most, early sixties.
Until I look in the mirror and feel my aching bones.
(And you know they say younger than they really think.)
I thought he would say,
at the very most, early sixties.
Until I look in the mirror and feel my aching bones.
Speaking
of Dr. S, when I went for my second to last paid-for visit,
he recommended I decompress and laser my lower back.
I’ve known for 40 years that I have degenerative arthritis.
When I told him how much my left leg hurt
just before DeRay’s Birthday Bash,
he thought maybe it was my lower back causing the pain
rather than my knees so he took x-rays.
Bear in mind, that nothing is covered by insurance
in chiropractic offices.
Twenty-five visits for $3,200, plus ten follow up visits.
“We’ll think about it.”
What has he done for my knees?
I still can’t walk without pain; can’t garden;
it hurts to go up and down stairs.
“You may have to have surgery,” he cajoles, “bone on bone.”
Why didn't someone tell me that $1,500 ago?
“My brother-in-law says the body rejuvenates
with the proper supplements but it takes a while,” I tell him.
“There is no pill in the world that will cure your knees.”
Of course, he had some stuff
that he was sure was better than Ron’s
even though he doesn’t even know what Ron recommends.
I’m confused.
he recommended I decompress and laser my lower back.
I’ve known for 40 years that I have degenerative arthritis.
When I told him how much my left leg hurt
just before DeRay’s Birthday Bash,
he thought maybe it was my lower back causing the pain
rather than my knees so he took x-rays.
Bear in mind, that nothing is covered by insurance
in chiropractic offices.
Twenty-five visits for $3,200, plus ten follow up visits.
“We’ll think about it.”
What has he done for my knees?
I still can’t walk without pain; can’t garden;
it hurts to go up and down stairs.
“You may have to have surgery,” he cajoles, “bone on bone.”
Why didn't someone tell me that $1,500 ago?
“My brother-in-law says the body rejuvenates
with the proper supplements but it takes a while,” I tell him.
“There is no pill in the world that will cure your knees.”
Of course, he had some stuff
that he was sure was better than Ron’s
even though he doesn’t even know what Ron recommends.
I’m confused.
My visiting
teachers came Monday morning.
They had to come in through the garage
because DeRay had the sprinklers going full blast.
“I told Jean if you didn’t
want us to come,
you should have just told us,” Annette laughed.
DeRay knew they were coming but he
forgot.
That got us talking about old age and memory loss.
As I was walking up to the bowery
at the Dutch oven dinner the other night,
Frank Leaver, our next door neighbor was rushing past.
He didn’t even glimpse at me.
Still I said, “What’s happening to your swimming pool?”
He hurriedly answered, “It’s all new. Going to be fixed for good.”
But you could tell he didn’t have time for me.
He was rushing over to talk to the Taylors.
Later, I said to DeRay,
“Wouldn’t it be nice to be admired like the Taylors?"
I’m sure Frank and Blaine were bishops simultaneously
when we were in different wards; old cronies.
Annette has been Stake Relief Society President
so everyone seeks her out.
at the Dutch oven dinner the other night,
Frank Leaver, our next door neighbor was rushing past.
He didn’t even glimpse at me.
Still I said, “What’s happening to your swimming pool?”
He hurriedly answered, “It’s all new. Going to be fixed for good.”
But you could tell he didn’t have time for me.
He was rushing over to talk to the Taylors.
Later, I said to DeRay,
“Wouldn’t it be nice to be admired like the Taylors?"
I’m sure Frank and Blaine were bishops simultaneously
when we were in different wards; old cronies.
Annette has been Stake Relief Society President
so everyone seeks her out.
After
laughing about the sprinklers,
Annette said that she is becoming
worried about her husband who is 82.
“The other night at the Dutch oven cookout,
Frank came up and asked if he ever loaned his trailer out.
Blaine told him no because someone broke it
when they borrowed it
but that he would be happy go with him
to do whatever he wanted to use it for.
When Frank left,
Blaine turned to me and asked:
'Who was that?'"
Annette said that she is becoming
worried about her husband who is 82.
“The other night at the Dutch oven cookout,
Frank came up and asked if he ever loaned his trailer out.
Blaine told him no because someone broke it
when they borrowed it
but that he would be happy go with him
to do whatever he wanted to use it for.
When Frank left,
Blaine turned to me and asked:
'Who was that?'"
Things are not always as they seem.
Photos taken June 18, 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment