On
June 23, 2013, Jeanette posted a blog honoring DeRay shortly after his 79th
birthday. She pointed out the service he has provided to both sides of the
family without being in the limelight, but always there. Jeanette used the
title Mr. Cellophane Celebrates to emphasize his not being in the limelight,
though always there. I think as he celebrates his 80th birthday I will point
out a few of many examples of his constant outreach related to me and us under the
opposite title:
Mr.
Always There
1.
When I was in Canada on my mission Mama needed to purchase a car and bring it
to me. I came out of an All-Mission conference in a chapel in Cardston to find
Mama waiting for me in the foyer, the first I knew she was there. How did she
and the car get to Canada? DeRay and Jeanette brought her, towing the newly
purchased used car.
2.
Shortly after Grace and I were married and were living in Cedarville,
California, managing a motel in lieu of paying rent, Mama and Uncle Ed were
married and came to California on their honeymoon and stopped to see us. Who
were their chaperones and drivers? DeRay and Jeanette.
3.
Later, when we were living at a ranger station on the mountain-side above
Milford, California, we took a photo that included Mama. Guess who else was in
the photo besides her and our family? The Hugh family! Henry & Gene Goebel
were also in the photo.
4.
When I was working in San Francisco and we were living in the suburb of Concord
for ten years, we had two visits from DeRay & Jeanette. The first time they
came, we got a phone call from DeRay after they got to town saying: We are on
the corner of Walk and Don’t Walk and need to know how to get to your house
from here. The second time, we got home from church to find the Hughs sitting
in our living room. So much for locked houses. On one of their visits we went
to the beach in San Francisco. A movie was being shot as Brent walked by and
they conscripted him to be in one scene.
5.
Later, DeRay and Jeanette invited Grace and me to join them in their condominium
on the beach in San Diego after we had moved to Goleta.
6. I
also think of many pleasant early times deer hunting together up in the Oaks.
Anyway,
Happy 80th Birthday, Mr. Always There.
DeLoy
(I am just glad that I am not that old!)
(He turns 80 on July 5.)
What
a great day for a great person. Mildred
When Jeanette asked us to write something about DeRay for his 80th
Birthday Celebration my mind jumped back to the good old days. Back when we
were first married and we lived closer to your family. When we were younger we
did more fun things than we do now. When I think back about some of those fun
times I realized that we did most of them with you. To name just a few: Camping in Nephi Canyon
and other places. DeRay and his home-made camp trailer. Going to Lagoon.
Thanksgiving dinners. Christmas Eve and Christmas visits. I think of all of the
times you tended our little kids while Juanita and I did things together and
when Juanita had surgery, not so fun. I think back when you were building your
home and living in the garage.
Of course the most important of all was our deer hunts together each
October. Good weather or bad weather, rain or snow we were always at our deer
camp on Clear Creek mountain under the big pine trees. I remember when Mamma
and Uncle Ed were at deer camp and Mamma rode Dandy Boy. I remember the night
search for DeRay’s cousin after the snow storm. I remember the “rock” and the
“perch” and all of the good hunting on Jimmy Creek Point. I remember the hunt
strategy discussions around the camp fire. I remember all of those nice bucks
and some that got away. Deer hunting just ain’t what it used to be.
More recently I remember our week on your house boat at Lake Powell. A
kind of experience we never would have if not for DeRay. I remember the week in
San Diego with you. The sour dough treats that have become a part of our family
get-to-gathers. We can’t forget DeRay’s soft drink maker, his composts with
three kinds of manure in them. DeRay always has something going to keep life
interesting. What will it be next? One
thing for sure, we are happy and privileged to have you as a brother-in-law. We
have so many memories to reflect back on and we hope there are more memory
makers waiting in the future. If DeRay is involved, we know they will be
unusual, eventful and fun.
Happy Birthday DeRay. Have a great 80th.
We will be thinking about you.
Lots of Love, Lynn & Juanita Esplin
DeRay always likes to find a bargain or find a way to do the same thing at a cheaper price. We both enjoyed collaborating to find better deals and increase our purchasing power. One that is worth noting has to do with the 19-unit apartment building we purchased in Ogden in 1984. It had a commercial water heater with a several hundred gallon storage tank that held the hot water for the 19 apartments. Soon after we purchased the building, the water heater failed. We were astounded to learn that a new commercial water heater would cost about $2,000 and likely require a plumber. DeRay suggested that we use conventional water heaters that are used in most homes. It took us awhile to determine that 4 conventional water heaters would do the job and we could install them ourselves which saved on the installation. It cost us $600 for 4 conventional water heaters with no added labor costs. The large storage tank required by the commercial water heater was also eliminated. This allowed us additional space which we were able to convert to a new studio apartment and increase our income from the property. Les Cragun
Donald
Duck came around in 1934; Ritz crackers are also 80 years old! Snickers candy bars. (Verda sent Ritz crackers and candy bars and
a beautiful “In Honor of Your 80th Birthday” card.) Wishing You the Best Today and Always. Dennis
& Verda
Another
Birthday? Don’t worry. You’re not as OLD as the HILLS yet – or the
Reeders. Happy Birthday from your old
neighbor and good friend. - Alison
I regret we didn't get a picture of DeRay with my sisters and me.
"It's the first Sisters' Retreat I've been invited to," he quipped, "and already I hate it."
He thought we were picking on him.
Men!
He thought we were picking on him.
Men!
Bob Hope and Jack Kennedy were also born on May 29.
DeRay, Ron & Lynda
Memories of DeRay are
few. He is twelve years older than
I am. I do remember in 1956 when he was
driving the Union Pacific bus filled with tourists to the National Parks, Grand
Canyon, Zion, Bryce. When he would come
back to Kanab, he would drop the tourists off for shopping and refreshments,
pick me up and gas up the bus. I was
able to drive a little with him.
I remember driving
north past Orderville with him and he said, “Let’s pull over and fish some.” It was up Black Rock Canyon and we caught a
few real nice fish.
I remember visiting
with DeRay and his family when he was building his house in Kaysville. I helped lay brick. He was happy for any help he could get. Dad helped too.
We had a chance to
travel to Oregon with his family for an eye clinic appointment with testing on
Ed. That was a nice trip and good time
to be with them. Ron Pugh
Ed's in the front; everyone else is in the back.
But the front is where the goodbyes are said
and if he's watchful he might snag a hug.
Alison, born and reared in Australia; and Jeanette born and reared in Southern Utah, trace their lineage (great grandfathers) back to the same parish in Kirriemuir, Scotland. We were next door neighbors in Bountiful, Utah, and have been friends for 50 years now. But the front is where the goodbyes are said
and if he's watchful he might snag a hug.
DeRay is a wonderful, kind-hearted brother who has contributed much to our enjoyment of the week of camping at Duck Creek! The sour dough work alone was a highlight for everyone but more than that we appreciated his company and skills in solving technical problems. His wit and knowledge make conversations fun! As a big brother he was the dependable one when it came to chores with the cow or garden! We really needed his help! Thank you, DeRay for being you!
Once I was visiting Brett at his house in Northern Utah when DeRay conned me into visiting with him while he repaired a roof on a rental! I was dubious about the whole thing but he said he would take a chair up there and give me a Coke to drink so I did it! I don't like climbing ladders to be on roofs but it was an excellent visit with him that day and I am glad I did it! Marilyn
“80th”
Happy Birthday, DeRay. Best Wishes, Ed
& Kathi
You’re 80! THE BAD NEWS IS: You’ve reached the age where the little bit
of hair you have is gray and you have lots of wrinkles on your birthday. THE GOOD NEWS IS: all your friends have
reached the age when they’re too nearsighted to notice!!! Happy Birthday! Conley & Erika (Conley is 82. He’s wrong about the wrinkles and gray
hair.)
Kathi Denny (from West Germany) and Erika Bailey (from East Germany)
could have sang Happy Birthday to DeRay in German.
Kathi sang it in English.
My daughter, Amy, and my sisters, Carol and Verla.
Thanks
4 all the great stories! Elizabeth
Selfie
Remember Klarissa who the first day said it was so much fun
to work with your whole family?
"It was such a great two days. Maybe we should do it every week."
"I won't be available," she avowed as she strutted off.
Winding up the rope that held the sun shields.
“How did
DeRay like the dinner in his honor, since he's usually invisible?” my brother,
DeLoy, asks.
“I don't
know," I confess, "we didn't see him.”
No comments:
Post a Comment