The
headlines in an insert in the newspaper one recent morning read:
EXCLUSIVE: Parents Overpower Peer Pressure
As
I walk into the house studying the headlines, it struck me forcibly that all
parents, without exception, were once teenagers. Been there;
done that. Not so long ago either. We sorta remember what it was like. Even though
times change, it gives us an inside track as to what teens are thinking and feeling.
Unlike
old age. Those who are dealing with
nurturing and taking care of elderly people have never been old. You get old and then you die, taking your
wisdom (that is ignored) to the grave with you.
My 85-year-old sister wrote in an e-mail:
"I
didn't dream the world would be as it is now in the closing days of my
life."
I
thought she meant the little world that she lives in now that she is more
confined. Good thing I called her to
clarify. I should have known, she’s always been political and fiercely patriotic. She meant
the outside world: ISIS, Ebola, things
like that.
These
are the things she said:
“It’s
been a challenge getting used to being old.”
“We
were around a lot of old people but you didn’t ever hear anything about what
they did all day long.”
So
I asked her what she does all day. (She
said she doesn’t like people to ask her that question.)
“After
last election I made up my mind I wasn’t going to listen to news. It’s too depressing.” (A staunch Republican, she could not bear
that Mitt Romney lost.) But then she
decides she needs to pick up on what is going on out in the world so she’s
watching TV again. “It is surprising to
me how much people changed. They looked
much older in just that short time.” She
reads: “My eye sight isn’t quite as good
as it used to be but I usually read after I go to bed.”
“I
get a ‘down’ feeling from about 4 to 8 at night, then I kind of revive; have
more energy.”
“I
don’t want to travel because I don’t want to be out on the road and die.”
“Each
year you just get a little frailer; don’t have as much energy.”
I
asked her if she felt respected. She’s garnered
quite a few honors in her little town.
“Hearing
loss isolates you,” she said. “Most
people in the Ward now wouldn’t know me.”
So
even though I originally misunderstood the quote in her email, I’m still fulminating
over the disregard in our society for the venerable elderly. If not total disregard, then loss of respect,
esteem, and understanding. It’s obvious they
haven’t been there or done that.
Gradually,
we lose everything: Our autonomy; our
hearing, sight, speech, mobility. Even
without Alzheimer’s or dementia, we forget and can’t express ourselves. We can feel people laughing at us and feeling
sorry for us; condescendingly. We repeat ourselves. We are slow. Everything hurts or doesn’t hurt.
It doesn’t matter. We’re not
going anywhere.
![]() |
| Jan posted this on Facebook, no doubt thinking of her mother and father who are deceased. |
For
a while now, I’ve been thinking that we should be old before we are young;
Die
before we are born;
Be
grandparents before we are parents;
Parents
before we are children.
Maybe
F. Scott Fitzgerald was on to something when in 1922 he wrote the short story
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” which was made into a film in 2008
starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blachett. It
tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who starts aging backwards, being
born old and dying an infant.
I
actually practice dying every day. Yogis
claim it should be a pleasant transition; a serene, glorious experience. In Yoga, the pose is called Shavasana or
Corpse Pose.
Shavasana
is perhaps the most important part of yoga practice.
Lie on your back. Stretch your backbone on
the floor, helping with your hands. Straighten your legs, your toes relaxed and
pointing outward. Put your arms along your torso with your palms up, your
shoulders pressed to the floor. Close your eyes and relax. Try to calm your
breath and mind as much as you can. You
have no place to go; nothing to do. Slow
down. Let go.
It
is intended to rejuvenate body, mind, and spirit.
The physiological benefits
of deep relaxation are numerous and include:
·
a
decrease in heart rate and the rate of respiration,
·
a
decrease in blood pressure,
·
a
decrease in muscle tension,
·
a
decrease in metabolic rate and the consumption of oxygen,
·
a
reduction in general anxiety,
·
a
reduction in the number and frequency of anxiety attacks,
·
an
increase in energy levels and in general productivity,
·
an
improvement in concentration and in memory,
·
an
increase in focus,
·
a
decrease in fatigue, coupled with deeper and sounder sleep, and
·
improved
self-confidence.
My
yoga instructors used to say: “When you
get your own practice . . .”
I
scoffed. I’ll never have my own
practice. I can only follow; do what I’m
told. I have no idea what to do on my
own.
Now
each morning as I do my own geriatric yoga routine, I smile. I have my own practice; ultimately
relaxing in Corpse Pose to practice dying, hopefully to be where everyone exists
in a supreme superlative state.


1 comment:
I love Shasvanasa (spelling). It used to drive me crazy, but know I love it! I have an instructor at the studio I attend that will put it at the beginning of class.
Post a Comment