Nice
thing about planning a trip is that one gets things done that would otherwise not
get done because we can do it tomorrow.
Even
though I am busier than before, I manage to squeeze things in. I was three months behind on organizing and
printing my journal. Somehow, because I
was leaving, I caught up. I have wanted
to wash the windows all fall but haven’t found time. Knowing the warm, sunny days are limited, I
washed the upstairs windows one day; the kitchen/family room windows before gym
the next; and finished up with all the outside windows and the basement windows
and mirrors—scheduling them in my spare time between things. Now this is a biggie: I shoveled the leaves; pine needles and even
paper from the gutter grate and put them in the garbage can before it was picked up
on Monday. I’ve been going to do that
for weeks. I’m surprised I didn’t get my
swimsuit mended that came apart at the seams when we were at Snowbird. I picked the peppers, chopped and froze 10
quarts; froze broccoli, kale, and squash.
We’d do those anyway, but we might have waited until tomorrow or next
week or when it would be freezing cold.
It’s 79 degree daytime weather!
Who know what I might accomplish if I planned a trip every month!
I almost envied Amy when we finally got everything packed and on the road. She would be coming home to a clean, organized house this evening. I wouldn't mind spending a week alone. If anyone else were here, it would be messed up in 10 minutes.
I almost envied Amy when we finally got everything packed and on the road. She would be coming home to a clean, organized house this evening. I wouldn't mind spending a week alone. If anyone else were here, it would be messed up in 10 minutes.
The Windmills of Wyoming.
Not that the Natural Gas station is banned to the boonies or anything! Rock Springs.
The sunset in Wyoming.
I almost got the Lincoln Memorial.
Sunrise in Iowa.
We drive through the night spending about 23 hours in the car and arrive in Kansas City around 10:30 in the morning.
“Tell them we’re Mormons,” (referring
to Marriott being a Mormon) I jest to DeRay when he goes in to see if we can
check in early. “Tell them we want two
double beds and a view,” Ed instructs.
We hoping we can get in early to clean up before we see
our family. It’s pretty here. Ed wonders why we came to Tornado Alley but I
don’t see any tornadoes – calm and serene.
We swim, clean up, and meet Brent, Jan, Jonathan, Amanda
and Naomi at Oklahoma Joes at 4:30 PM.
Back to the motel, the kids swim and we visit then watch the Royals/Giant game. The stadium is just a few blocks from their home so we are mandated to be fans while in the area. Royal Blue.
The kids stay with us in the motel. Believe it or not, we sleep until 8:30 – which is 9:30 their time. Breakfast will be over. We run down in our pajamas. They offer us cold stuff. DeRay orders cold cereal, yogurt, bananas, milk. $60. $60??? No free breakfast? Isn’t this the Marriott? “That’s Marriott Fairfield. This is Marriott Courtyard.” Even though we made reservations for five nights, we check out. Taxes added, one night $125. We’re outta here. Jan drops by at noon to pick up passengers.
Grandpa told Amanda that her truck was parked outside.
Earlier Brent told us about the Jamesport Inn where he
stays when he goes hunting. It has a big
unit that sleeps eight. We call them,
never dreaming it would be available. $125/night,
sleeping accommodations for eight. DeRay
and Jan go shopping. Amanda and I washed
dishes. With a sprained ankle, she was
hobbling around on crutches. In the
simple way little things mean a lot, it was a tender moment to wash dishes with
her. She knew the routine precisely and
helped me do it right. Brent ate. Naomi hid.
DeRay, Ed, Amanda and I left at 4 PM.
Will they ever get here? All the
groceries are in the van. We’re off to
Jamesport, the Amish town. Lovely ride
up here 1 hr 15 minutes. Huge room. One small unstable table, 2 chairs, air
chairs for kids to sleep on. A fridge and microwave; but no dishes. No
stove. No closets. Enough floor space to hold a ball. I gathered 4 plastic chairs from around the
firepit so now we have six chairs. I
walked down the street enchanted.
Clomp. Clomp. Clomp.
You know an Amish buggy is coming every so often. Colorful trees, summer and fall flowers still
blooming. I can’t remember when I’ve
felt this excited.
How did Pancake and Gnocchi get to Jamesport?
No comments:
Post a Comment