Here
I am 78 years old already. I’ve never
been this old before so I had no idea what to expect or how to feel. I can’t even remember when this journey
started. One of the first things I can
remember is going down to the garage and getting oil on the sailor suit I got for my 4th birthday.
Mama was
so disappointed in me. (Her words.) That garage,
owned and operated by LeGrand and William Heaton—Mama’s double first cousins--was
a nemesis for us all the time we were growing up. Evidently, we liked to throw rocks on the
roof and evidently, they didn’t like us to; so every once in awhile when they
completely lost their patience, they would insist we climb up on the roof and throw
all the rocks off. I remember one time
Lucy bawling her head off at the injustice and humiliation of it all. Shirley and Lynn James, who probably neither one
threw a single rock up on the garage, obediently climbed up and quietly threw the rocks off. I remember DeLoy and me out to the herd
holding our hands out until flies lit on them and snapping them shut trying to
kill them. I remember the corrals we
built to hold our mud horses and coming home so dirty and chapped, I hoped no
one would see us before we got our baths.
I remember Aunt Lucy’s family walking by inviting us to go cook our
supper up on the hill with them. Memories
throughout the years flash back on my birthday:
| After unloading the dishwasher, Ed settled down to read his Kindle. It's such a good book. |
| To cap off the evening, the guys watched the Utah State/BYU game. |
| Did Klarissa and I set a record? We used every tile. |
| Oh yes, a selfie. |
The Next Day
with my sisters, Carol and Verla; cousin, Verda; and daughter, Amy.
with my sisters, Carol and Verla; cousin, Verda; and daughter, Amy.
| Dancing with the Witch. |
| Eating with the Witch |
| The Three Stooges--I mean SISTERS. |
| Hollyhocks bring back childhood memories of dolls. |
| Here we are playing baseball! |
The Gifts
| From Verda |
| From my sisters: Shirley, Carol, and Verla. Verla is our designated shopper. Now, if I just had a wedding or graduation to go to! |
| Jelly Beans from DeRay. |
I read somewhere that the average person gets 5-1/2 cards for his/her birthday. I always count because I want to be above average. I feared that with phone calls, e-mails, and Facebook, I wouldn't meet my quota but I did. Of course, I count phone calls, e-mails and Facebook. Absolutely. I also count books from Brent and Jan that came early.
These are my two special handcrafted cards. 1. Elizabeth. 2. Amy Jayne
Some people give gifts all year long, like DeRay and Amy.
Some people never give gifts, like Ed.
He was excited about my impending birthday.
"I can hardly wait to see what you give me," I tease.
"You're getting NOTHING."
"Nothing? You can't give me nothing. That's what I'm giving you for your birthday.
You've got to think of something else."
Some people never give gifts, like Ed.
He was excited about my impending birthday.
"I can hardly wait to see what you give me," I tease.
"You're getting NOTHING."
"Nothing? You can't give me nothing. That's what I'm giving you for your birthday.
You've got to think of something else."
Not only a swimsuit cover but a lovely plant from Brooke & Elizabeth. Calla Lily.
More cards. Towels from Verda.
One card missing this year.
While we were at Snowbird, my longtime faithful friend, Connie Gordon, was buried.
We didn't find out until we got home.
We could have gone to her funeral in American Fork.
We didn't find out until we got home.
We could have gone to her funeral in American Fork.
She never missed sending a card on my birthday.
Alison Reeder never misses either.
I was born on her mother's birthday.
I told her if she wanted me to remember her birthday,
she should have been born on my mother's birthday.
She turned 87 in August.
Donna Graf always sends a nice card,
my friend Suzanne gifts and cards me,
also my nice visiting teachers;
and one x-visiting teacher and forever friend remembers.
Donna Graf always sends a nice card,
my friend Suzanne gifts and cards me,
also my nice visiting teachers;
and one x-visiting teacher and forever friend remembers.
*
Only Debbie Beus is left
of the three people I knew who were born on October 3.
My double-first cousin, Nan, and I always exchanged gifts.
Years ago, I called my classmate Flossy on our shared birthday
and her husband said,
"Flossy? We buried her last week."
In case you're wondering,
that's what it's like to turn 78.

.jpg)


8 comments:
I loved the pictures from your younger years... and it looks like a fine and fitting celebration for turning 78! Happy Birthday!!!!
Great blog. I expected it to be good but it was better and more Thoreau.
Older Man - Don't you forget it! Thanks for the Happy Birthday, Melissa.
I love the outfit from your sisters. You look great!
Thanks, Jan.
Thanks. I felt like I got to go home for the evening and have a visit with you. Nice. Sometimes we get homesick, but we still love our mission. If you ever want to touch base with us, we have the same phone number here and it works in Canada since it is an internet based phone.
Much love,
Sister Ripplinger, alias Linda
Hey, Jeanette, how did you get to be so old and wise? Verda is getting to look more like Nan every day isn't she? Love, DeLoy
As you know, age and wisdom are not necessarily companions; age is compulsory, wisdom is not. To your credit, you have achieved both. I’m not so sure about me?
Post a Comment