Thursday, December 18, 2014

Peace to you

Christmas isn’t quite as cheery as it used to be.
Phone calls:
“My husband, George, died at 2:30 this afternoon.”
Emails:
“I just heard that Helen Heaton Hall died yesterday.”
Visits:
DeRay and Ed stopped to see Aunt Olive.
They said she was in the hospital.
Instead she was in Avalon Care Center
so DeRay went to see here there, reporting, “Aunt Olive’s gone.”
(Not literally.)
Christmas letters:
“I am still hobbling along.  Hard to get shopping done.”
“On January 2, 2014, my George left behind his sick, hurting, and worn-out body and slipped away into heaven.”
“Our son, Lane, was diagnosed in February with stage 4 prostate cancer at age 50.”
“Five months ago, our granddaughter, Megan, passed away suddenly from ketoacidosis.  She was only 30.”
“On the 9th of July, Jeane was diagnosed with chronic myelomonocystic leukemia, which is very rare.”

God Bless us, Every One.

2 comments:

desplingca said...

You make a good point. I guess Christmas letters, e-mails, and phone calls should be more about counting blessing!

JJ said...

No, I think it's important we know these things. It's just as we get older, more of our friends and family have serious health issues. We erased 11 names from our Christmas card list from two years ago. We only sent out 27 cards this year. Things are just not quite as jolly as they used to be. We still count our blessings.