The
Joys of Christmas
Are
multiplied
When
we spend time with
The
brothers and sisters
Who
shared the excitement
of
Christmas with us
as
children.
![]() |
| Jeanette, Jerry, Lynn James, DeLoy, Carol Lee, Shirley, Lucy, Verla 1947 |
![]() |
| Christmas in Orderville. DeRay, Mama, Verla, Jeanette, Jerry, Carol. 1956 |
| DeRay, Lynn, Jerry, Carol, Juanita, Jeanette, Verla Three missing who live too far away: Shirley, New Castle, UT; DeLoy, Goleta, CA; Lucy, Heaven. |
The
Spirit of Christmas
Is
enhanced when we visit
The
home of a grown child who was
Born
to us four days before Christmas;
Eat
good food and share the fourth advent
Candles,
stories, and music
With
his family and
Both
sets of admiring grandparents.
| Advent Candles, left |
When
Brooke Duffin Hugh was born on December 21, 1971, Mama sent us this poem:
May a baby come to thee,
And lie beneath your Christmas tree,
In a cradle set with pine
Be a perfect present thine. . .
And, when the blessed day is done,
Birthday of God’s only son,
May your heart a cradle be
Needing not a Christmas tree,
For in your arms a babe will stay –
Every hour a Christmas day! --Author Unknown
![]() |
| Mama holding Brooke, Uncle Ed. Blessing in Orderville Ward. |
Three years later when Amy Lyn was born on
December 30, 1974, I wrote our own version of the poem:
![]() |
| Jeanne, holding Amy Lyn, Brent, Travis, Brooke with Grandma Esplin. |
![]() |
| Amy Lyn, 6 months |
Two new babies came to us
And lay amongst the Christmas muss.
Also, one in March and two in May
Made each of those a Blessed Day.
For in all the world there’s nothing sweeter
Than five little kids to make our home neater!
Even nighttime competition is keen
for tiny Amy
Lyn.
I’m sure those three think for parents
to sleep a
night through a sin!
One night Travis will spend throwing up;
then Brooke
to potty must go –
That’s hard with ghosts in the bathroom.
Next we soak
an infected toe.
Of course, the two big ones are helpful
as only
children can be:
Hanging up dirty clothes, throwing
down clean
clothes for me.
They glue on the carpet, kick doors shut,
need rides
for 6 AM basketball.
“Mama, I
forgot my lunch tickets;
also my library books all.”
“Can you come
and pick up
my baritone and me?”
“Can Valori
sleep over?”
“I need $10 for Scout fee.”
“It’s not my
dog.” “I fed
the chickens yesterday.”
“I can’t set
the table, I gotta
made sure my piano’s OK.”
“Am I late
home from school?
How’d it get to be seven?”
“When I’m
nine, I’m going
to stay up until eleven.”
Grandma thinks we’re a house
of confusion
and fuss,
Make no mistake; we’re glad
the children
came to us.
For in our house our babes will stay
Making every
hour a Christmas Day!
à
Then on a birthday/Christmas card we sent to
Brooke in 1991 when he was on a mission in Germany, we wrote:
You were the baby who came to stay
Making every hour a Christmas Day!
Serious and silent, smart and mild,
I sometimes wonder, were you ever a child?
Your spirit is expansive, wise beyond years;
You steadied our ship when we shed our tears.
Twenty years since we heard that knock
And brought you home in a Christmas sock;
Now miles away, you’re the one
Proclaiming the message of God’s only son.







No comments:
Post a Comment