Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Love Soup

Out of the clear blue sky, Eddy says:
“I love squash soup.”
Well, not completely out of the clear blue. 
We had it for dinner last night.
Several years ago, Brent taught us how to
brown the onions to a luscious flavor to make squash soup.
It’s been one of our favorites ever since.
Especially this year,
when DeRay’s garden yielded at least 85 butternut squash.
A little later, Ed declares:
“I love beet soup.”
We enjoyed beet soup last week.
Ahhhh.
DeRay raised a few beets.
We decided not to pickle them; no pressure cooker;
freezing them instead.
Beets are dangerous in a deepfreeze:
If the power goes off or the door gets left even slightly ajar –
Oh, what a mess.
Amy remembered having chilled beet soup on a cruise
so she looked up a recipe on the Internet.
Delectable.
We prefer warm to chilled.
Who would have thought?
It was then I knew I was worthy of my Soup Town Heritage.
It may not be true,
but I’m pretty sure the rumor started in Kanab
that during the United Order days in Orderville,
they served the soup in a slanted
community trough.
Painting of original United Order by Elbert Porter.
In truth, there was a community dining hall.
After the children were finishing eating,
in order to be excused,
they had to say:
"Please, Auntie Harmon, I'm done."
Esplin siblings Lynn, Jeanette, Jerry & Shirley in Orderville Ward church for LaNard Johnson's funeral.  2002
The higher your position in the Order,
the higher up the trough you slurped soup.
The lowest generally got only broth –
all the meat and vegetables being consumed
by the higher church officials.
In a nutshell,
that’s where the Soup Town nickname originated.
To retaliate,
we call Kanabites, “Canned Rabbits” because –
I have no idea,
To counterattack the Soup Town myth?
We were sure they were insanely jealous of us because
we had an original school song, both lyrics and score.
VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL SONG
1st Verse:
Hail to our High School,
The one we love so well,
Down in the valley, where
Friendship ‘ere shall dwell.
Home of our school days;
Of work and study one,
Dearest of all schools beneath
The western sun.
Chorus:
At Valley High School,
As friends we’ll ever be;
True to our friendship
Of days that are so sweet.
Onward and upward, our
Courses we’ll pursue,
With teachers to lead us
Who are valiant and true.
--As it appeared in the 1954 yearbook.
2nd Verse:
Ever we’re striving more
Knowledge to obtain
True to our motto
Success shall be our aim
We’re one in purpose
We’re striving round by round
Rich gems of knowledge
In each bright day are found.
--from Memory

  Mr. Salter was still teaching when we went to school.
Bessie Heaton was a housewife whom we didn't know could do anything else. 
We had no idea who wrote the words or music when we sang it a zillion times
or played it in band.
Kanab sang their school song to the tune of
O Christmas Tree.
We used to belt out mockingly
as we marched down the street,
Oh KHS, our Christmas Tree
Come to MIA with me.
(Remember the old MIA song to that tune?)
Back to soup.
I’m addicted to Immunity Surge Soup
for breakfast each morning.
We make big batches and freeze it.
We’ve always loved Aunt Shirley’s tomato soup
with secret combinations.
Clam Chowder was once a Christmas favorite
until clams because too expensive or
unavailable all together.
We've long savored Verla's Taco Soup.
We like Chili on Halloween.
We even make tuna and broccoli soup.
The possibilities are endless for a staunch Soup Towner.
(BTW, I married a Canned Rabbit guy!)

1 comment:

desplingca said...

You are just full of useful infor-mation, as well as good Orderville soup, aren't you?