It
was 1993, Ed was 20 years old when I discovered how negligent I had been to not
have taught him that he has a Mother in Heaven as well as a Father. He came up through the Primary and Sunday
School systems and never heard of his Mother in Heaven? We read the scriptures
every day, where unfortunately she is not mentioned. He loves Heavenly Father
and Jesus. He should love his Mother
too. Distinctly.
One
Sunday, he was leaving for church when he mentioned something about Heavenly
Father and I told him he ought to remember his Heavenly Mother too. “No. NO. I don’t have a Heavenly
Mother; only a Heavenly Father.” “That
doesn’t make sense, Eddy. Of course, you
have a Heavenly Mother.” He stomped
around and was adamant.
Trying
to teach him through hymns, we sang O My
Father. “I love this one but it’s
wrong. This is one of my favorite hymns,
Mom,” he tells me.
The
next day, he says, “I love you, Mom, since you’re my only mother.”
“Just
me and your Mother in Heaven,” I add.
“She
doesn’t exist. I told you that
yesterday.” Then he relents ever so
slightly, “I love Heavenly Mother, who doesn’t exist, but I love her
anyway.” May 4, 1993
Later
as we gathered for our daily hymns, he said, “First tune I want to do is O My Father because it’s about Heavenly
Mother who doesn’t exist because I love her and I love Heavenly Father and
Jesus and whoever else is in heaven.”
I
guess he’s going to be prepared for anyone else I decide to spring on him!
I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav’ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason, truth eternal
Tells me I’ve a mother there.
When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.”
--Eliza R. Snow Vs
3,4 Pg 292 Hymns;
Also, Oh,
What Songs of the Heart:
Oh,
what songs we’ll employ!
Oh, what welcome we’ll hear!
While our transports of love are complete,
As the heart swells with joy
In embraces most dear
When our heavenly parents we meet!
As the heart swells with joy,
Oh, what songs we’ll employ,
When our heavenly parents we meet!”
--Joseph L. Townsend Vs 4 Pg 286 Hymns
“Heavenly Father,” Ed
prays at the dinner table, “thank thee for the food; bless it to our use. Tell Mom to get off MY case. Tell Heavenly Mother that I love her. I love thee.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.” August 19, 1993
Then one Sunday at dinner,
DeRay said something and Ed asks, "What about our Mother in Heaven, the
one I love?" "You love our
mother in heaven who doesn't exist?" I tease. "I
do." It sure made me feel
better to know that Ed believes that I have a counterpart in heaven, therefore
a future. March 3, 1997
It has been my custom when
hiking through the hollow, to stop in the oak grove and utter an informal
prayer to Heavenly Father. I was clear
out of the oak grove before I remembered this ritual one Saturday evening at
General Conference time. I turned around
and went back in. “Sorry. I thought
You'd be in General Priesthood meeting.
Are you there?” No answer. “Well, what about Mrs. God? Mother God?
She will listen to me.” So I pray
to her. I asked her to help me not get
lost (I’m not talking about the trail.)
She cares. Some people in our
Church have been excommunicated for talking about, writing about, and
especially for praying to our Mother in Heaven.
I don't know why. She's
nice. April 4, 1998
The next day, we sit down
to dinner around 3 PM, right during the afternoon session of General
Conference. "We won't say the
blessing because God is busy listening to conference," I explain. (So were we.)
"What do you mean listening?" Amy questions, "He's talking. He told them what to say; He doesn't have to
listen." "Well," I
project, "we could pray to Mother God. She wasn't invited to talk in
conference. She'll listen to
us." April 5, 1998
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a
pioneer for women’s rights, walked four miles to church and back each Sunday to
hear the minister, Theodore Parker, invoke an androgynous “Mother and Father of
us all.”
1 comment:
This is very sweet. I love how you have taught this special son. It can be very confusing to all of us
Post a Comment