Friday, January 30, 2015

Good to Me



Oh, DeRay is good to me.
And so I thank DeRay
for giving me the things I need:
The sun and the rain and the apple seed;
Oh, wait!
That’s Johnny Appleseed, thanking the Lord.
And so I thank DeRay
for giving me:
a good life;
Fixing things;
Shopping;
Vacations.
Offering to go downstairs for me a glass of water.
(That’s the one that got me.
Stairs are not easy when you’re 80.
We minimize stairs climbing all possible.)
Doing the business side of life
that I detest.
Insurance.
Bills.
Finances.
It doesn’t matter so much that he hasn’t been able to learn
how to hang up his coat
Even though I’ve stepped him through it many times:
                                            1.  Open closet door.
                                            2.  Grab a hanger
                                            3.  Hang coat on rod.
                                            4.  Close closet door.
Or that he leaves his clod-hoppers and his numerous grabbers scattered around;
or can't keep his dresser cleaned off.
He gathers well water;
Plans and plants a garden
with a complex sprinkling system;
Helps with the canning;
Talks to salesmen;
Makes me laugh out loud every day;
Handles problems;
Has a keen and analytical mind;
Pays the bills;
Sure he watches too much TV;
drinks too much caffeine;
he solves all my computer problems
and downloads my pictures.
And so I thank the Lord
for giving me
DeRay.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Eckhart Tolle once said, 'if you only say one prayer, let it be Thanks.'

What a beautiful prayer to your husband...