DeRay
and I are watching old reruns of West
Wing
When
we experience an explosion and a thunderous crash
It
takes me a couple of seconds to understand that I’m burning.
I jump
up yanking my clothes off,
I stand in
the bathroom trying to decide
How to get cold water on my legs.
How to get cold water on my legs.
I grab
a big bath towel and wet it in the sink.
Draping
it over my legs.
Sitting
suffering on the toilet,
Amy dashes
up still brushing her teeth.
“Water
is flooding the bathroom downstairs.
The
ceiling is saturated.”
I
guess my towel was wetter and drippier than I though.
A
teakettle on the gas fireplace blew its lid
Spewing
scalding water everywhere. . . .
The TV,
the fireplace insert, the chair, the floor, the hearth,
the mantle, and me.
the mantle, and me.
The spout
was open. Why did pressure build up?
Amy
and DeRay had been to Sam’s Club earlier
Amy did
her spur-of-the-moment Christmas Shopping
Spending
$450.
I was
just trying the new leggings on
And hadn’t
taken them off.
They got
the brunt of it.
Not
holes yet but spots of white
Like twinkling
stars all down the front.
Usually
I’m covered with a blanket
But with
the warm stretch fleece leggings
I hadn’t
reached for the blanket.
Getting
ready to go to Brooke’s house for Thanksgiving dinner, I murmur,
“I’m trying to decide what to wear that won’t hurt my burns.”
“I’m trying to decide what to wear that won’t hurt my burns.”
“Well,
don’t tell Brooke’s family,” Ed admonishes.
“Just
tell them what you’re thankful for and that’s it.”
No comments:
Post a Comment